Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Re: What book should I listen to next

You do know that Howard Zinn has openly admitted that he fictionalized much of his "history" in order to make a point? Howard Zinn is to history books what Ken Warren is to poker books. If you want a more accurate and more fair book on the history of the United States, from a respected historian, you can check out Paul Johnson's "A History of the American People."

That aside, from the list you've given, I'd listen to Freakonimics next, if only because I'm an economist so I have to tell you that. Some of his econometrics (statistical techniques) have come under a little criticism, but they are relatively minor points. It's a good read (listen?) and can show you that there's more to economics than inflation and the stock market.

BUT, I would seriously consider "Verbal Advantage" by Charles Harrington Elster. These tapes are simply amazing if you can get your hands on them. They are actually entertaining, believe it or not, and you learn loads.