Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 09-01-2005, 02:55 PM

Default A hand I think I botched

Level 4 (25/50) of last night's Happy Hour; I have something like 1200 chips. Two limpers to me in MP, I limp behind with AJ, another couple of limpers come in somewhere and the SB completes. 6 to the flop for 300.

The flop is KJ9 rainbow and we all check through.

The turn is the Jc, putting two clubs on the board. The BB, Jurollo, bets 125 into the pot of 300; he has a jack. I call. The SB, who's pretty loose (an any two suited kind of guy) and makes fishy calls on all streets but tricky postflop and supposedly actually won a couple of big Empire events, overcalls.

The river is a small club. The SB now thinks and bets 300. Jurollo folds his jack. I think, type 'boy, I really screwed this one up' and fold.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: A hand I think I botched

Ahhh that was the hand. Yea I had QJ there and thought it was a good fold on the river, but I would have raised my bet on the turn to eliminate the other guy and iso me. There was too much to draw to in this case not to do that.
~Justin
Old 09-01-2005, 05:02 PM

yea that was a pretty bad nonraise on the turn, especially if you know he has a jack there, just raise and knock the draws out.

PS: That is a pretty terrible bet by jurillo there on the turn, you have to bet more on those types of boards, just too much out there that can burn you.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:47 PM

Turn non-raise aside, is there any reason for the limp BTF? I hate playing AJ in a crowd. Unless the flop hits you just right, it's easy to get lost in the hand. Also difficult to protect against draws even if you did get TPTK,if the wrong person has huge outs to call, he may price others in.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:56 PM

I play better than the limpers, I'm ahead of them and if I hit my ace and a limper hits his ace I double up for sure.

That said, the other option I thought about was pushing.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:38 PM

Fair enough. It would be difficult to put you on a big A, I'll give you that.

Although... I wonder what the odds are on 2 pair, or sets on the flop with 6 players. I admit I don't have a lot of experience with a large field. I pretty much went from stud to NLHM and skipped limit Hold'em where many limpers to see the flop is more common.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:13 PM

With that many people in an unraised pot I don't like giving clubs free cards.

Do you think Jurollo would fold tripsGK to a raise? What about a river bet if he calls the turn?