Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Check raise didn\'t get rid of them - now what?

Live 2/4 game Commerce - my first hand in BB so no reads. 9 seats.

Hero has T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in BB. All call, complete or check pre-flop. No raises, family pot. (7.75 SB)

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

OK I've got two pair on a board that reeks of straight and flush draws. When SB checks, I decide to go for a check raise semi-bluffing a flopped straight. In reality, I want people out, now.

Betting goes SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, EP1 calls and calls go round to CO who folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero raises, all call the raise except MP1 who folds. (24 SB) 7 players

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero bets, all call. (15.5 BB) 7 players

River: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] SB checks, Hero bets. 3 players call (19.5 BB)

Result: I go down to two higher pairs from JTo at MP2.
At the time, I liked the check raise from BB, but it didn't work. Only one fold to that raise.

Was I too aggro with the check raise after the flop?
Any better line after the mild scare card, the J on the turn?

I hate building good pots for others to win but I do not see anyway that I could kick that JTo into folding and may be you do. Your thoughts appreciated.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Check raise didn\'t get rid of them - now what?

Sometimes you must accept that you can't protect your hand. This board is draw heavy, even a check-raise won't fold people except maybe overcards.

You played fine, as did the other guy. Just unlucky, it happens.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:15 PM

I like the plan, however once the flop bet gets called by 4-5 people, you need to change your flop plan. A raise will no longer get rid of many people. Call and re-evaluate on the turn.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:19 PM

The flop bet came from your left, so there's not really that much chance of clearing out a decent hand/draw with a checkraise, because the pot is big, the table is loose, and you're only facing one player with two bets cold.

But JT wasn't going to fold anyway. You flopped a good hand, but you're going to get outdrawn a good portion of the time when you have 8 opponents and there are so many potential draws.

But at least when the hand does hold up (or you improve to a boat and win that way), you'll win a big pot.

Anyway, leading the flop is another option, but I think I prefer checking (unless there's a real danger that the flop will get checked through), hoping to checkraise a bet from late position (even then, though, one-card gutshots might call). In any event, you would have lost no matter what you did, and your play in the hand looks okay to me.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:25 PM

I don't think you can expect to check raise on a pot that big and have any decent hand fold. Your best bet is that you lead out and maybe someone raises on your left. That's what sucks about being out of position.

I'm surprised the guy with J-10 didn't raise the turn. Did he say he was worried about someone having the straight?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:46 PM

Yes, winner was afraid I flopped the straight outright when I kept betting out so no raise.