Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2003, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Aggressive with 99 UTG

If you're asking whether you should be limping or raising with this hand in early position, I like Bob T's resonse the best. Usually your objective with raising with this hand is to try and get out those hands that can hurt it, Ax Kx. And this usually works in tough higher limit games.

It's been my experience and I'm sure most of the posters will agree with me, the lower the limit, the more callers pre-flop regardless of how many raises. In these cases you probably want to see if the flop as cheaply as possible and hope to flop a set or at least an overpair to the board.

As far as your play of the hand, I'm assuming it was capped on the flop and the turn (your post was a little unclear). You flopped a big hand and I'm likely to put a lot of bets in, but if you're opponent keeps raising, you need to back off at some point. Your play was fine.

Best of luck! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2003, 07:33 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

ive raised with that preflop....the 3 bets kinda scary though...

nice c/r on the flop...MP may be betting a high A, 2 pair, a lower set, maybe even a smoothcalled AA..

the turn, id bet out, then call a raise...the board is kinda raggy and could be doubtful anyone is showing that much power with a gutshot. that and the fact you dont have any reads on the players prior...but are they overplaying hands? you mentioned moderately aggressive...

the mp 3bet is why i wouldnt go for the c/r....hes representing at least a set at this point....maybe top 2 pair.. but again, he could be overplaying....doubt it, but you cant be sure here...

with that, im calling the river to see

utg may have AK or KK....nice laydown if he has AK, but given the action its obvious there could be a set out there...

MP? 55, A9s or AA....unless hes getting out of control with AK [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] my hope is for 55 or A9s

i dont see the gutshot or runner flush playing this way...but again, some players........

b
Old 01-25-2003, 07:35 AM

i think the AA is a good possibility too....with that read, how would you have played the turn?

b
Old 01-25-2003, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Clarification

sometimes against unknown players, until you see them showdown some and see whether they overplay or not, you have to be a little cautious...i think..

however, say earlier you notice this guy 3 bet AA without hesitation....but saw him smoothing in AK at times....then id agree with your play of the turn more...because youd more likely be ahead based on your prior reads...the only reason id say you overplayed was lack of knowledge of the player...that and sometimes it can be tough to get a double c/r. especially if there's a draw out there and an LP is capping the flop. but here, it's much less likely hes doing a free card play..

btw...if the utg guy was a tight 3 bettor preflop, the MP could dump this hand preflop.

one thing to watch for in lower limits, and higher for that matter is...limping standards and raising standards...

some guys will limp loose preflop, but raise with tight standards. so you may think theyre loose, but their raise can narrow down their hands quite a bit...something to watch for if youre not already...

b
Old 01-25-2003, 07:53 AM

"The late position player never had a chance to convince you that you didn't have the best hand anyhow."

unless this is meant as a joke...id really like to hear how the LP played this where he didnt get a chance to convince him....he never slowed down...

flop....he reraised a c/r
turn...he reraised a c/r again...
river....he bet

that would convince me to take heed if i didnt know the player...

b
Old 01-25-2003, 06:15 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
flop....he reraised a c/r
turn...he reraised a c/r again...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I thought he had AA after the turn, and why I check-called the river. I know you have to be aggressive and all, but wow. That was a lot of pounding on his part. I thought I was beaten, but I definitely wasn't so sure that I was folding. I WAS sure enough that I wasn't raising the river.

The "limping standards vs raising standards" is a good thing to think about. I think I myself probably limp too much.

El Gato, sorry if the description was unclear. The turn didn't get capped (the flop did). On the turn, I checkraised, the UTG+1 player folded, the MP player 3-bet, and I called.

I think the checkraise on the turn may not have been the best play, since I wasn't worried about draws and it didn't make me more money, although I still like the aggression of the hand in general. I raised the 99 preflop since I was hoping overcards would fold, and with the thought that the table seemed like they might be reasonably smart and fold to a raise.

Again, thanks to all, because as a new player, it's really helpful and gratifying to get help from more experienced players.