Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-17-2004, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Small overpair big pot. 5-10NL

What combination of hands do you put them on that makes your call a good one? How often do you anticipate this favorable combination? By the way, I assume people are saying that calling with bigger pairs is better b/c they will cancel some of your opponents' outs if they have a flush draw and overs. There is also some minor chance of TT-QQ.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Small overpair big pot. 5-10NL

[ QUOTE ]
Will one of these players have TT-QQ often enough to really make an EV difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If he pushes, however, he could have a very definite read on the short-stack and want to isolate with a hand he knows is winning, like AK or AQ, assuming it beats the short-stack. That could sucker you into calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is capable of making this play with AK or AQ, he might do the same with QQ for sure, and maybe JJ or TT. So yes, I would say AA is better than KK. And KK is better than QQ. And QQ is better than...well, you get the point. It will make a huge difference in EV.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is 542, two spades

[/ QUOTE ]

66 and 33 are real possibilities here. But do you really want to make that call when the choices are being a 1.6:1 (33) favorite or a 10.88:1 dog (set or overpair)? He could have 88 or 77, but you're dead if he played A3s (or lord have mercy 63). I would have made the laydown unless I had a serious read on the bigger of the two stacks (aka, he only makes a play like that on a bluff). And I agree with the sentiment of others. It doesn't matter to me if you won that hand or not. I feel you will lose money in the long run by making the call.