Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2004, 09:27 AM

Default Why do I lose on Party, but win on Stars?

I hear everyone saying how Party poker has easy games, and the money is easy. And that Pokerstars games are alot tougher. But in my experience of the two, I find Party poker harder to beat than Stars. I find it easier playing against people who are relatively ok at playing poker, than the majority of players on Party poker's unpredictable bad callers/maniacs. I feel this is a bankroll issue? Maybe I should have started on Party with a large bankroll, to accomodate for bad beats etc.?
Thanks
Old 04-17-2004, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Why do I lose on Party, but win on Stars?

I had the same issue when I first began playing at Party. I had been beating the Paradise 1/2 and 2/4 games consistently but could not seem to win at Party.

It ended up being a variance issue. As you probably know, you can have some big swings in hold 'em. I ended up losing abou $500 at Party's 2/4 game before the cards started falling my way.

Now I'm beating the game for about 2 BB/100 hands.

You absolutely need to be sure your bankroll is big enough. You need 300 BB's to withstand the swings.

Good luck
Old 04-17-2004, 10:35 AM

Your probably just running good at Stars, eventually everthing will work out right and you will lose at both.

D.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:21 PM

No, thats not the case actually.
Thanks
Old 04-17-2004, 12:31 PM

What sort of sample sizes do you have here ?

You also might not be making proper adjustments for worse play.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:06 PM

I believe there may be some merit to the idea that your sample size is small, and you will get less of a variance after more hands. However, there is indeed a difference between the two sites.

If you do not adjust to the less skillful players at Party then you will not make as much money. There is also a difference in the play of players on Friday and Saturday nights (in my opinion), and I do change my style to fit the games.

I can't give you all the answers as to how to play, HEPFAP has a good amount of data related to loose games. I will tell you that you can not steal as much, as players will be calling down with anything. With this in mind, I play a bit tighter, raise with flush draws more (when I have 4-5 players in front of me), raise less pre-flop even with the highest quality hands, and bet for value more with 2-pair on the end. AL
Old 04-19-2004, 01:35 AM

I have the opposite problem, win at party and lose at stars! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2004, 02:17 PM

You stated, " I find it easier playing against people who are relatively ok at playing poker, than the majority of players on Party poker's unpredictable bad callers/maniacs. "

This generally means you've just started really learning the game and read 1-2 books. Once you've played a few more hands and learned to adjust your game to different situations you'll learn that you ALAWAYS prefer to play against people who don't have a clue rather than people who are relatively OK.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:33 PM

Exactly. This is just what I was thinking. I imagine this is also the reason that you got the dick answer from David Steele, which by the way made me laugh.

The second you said you prefer playing against better players you showed that you have not been playing a long time, or at least are missing some key parts to poker.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:51 PM

Your sample size is probably too small, or you don't have a very good understanding of poker.
-James