Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Now I know what its like to play against me

Against that sort of player I typically like taking one of two lines.

Check the flop, minraise a potsized bet or make a larger raise if the bet/board looks harmless on 4th.

Make a very small continuation bet of 1/4 pot with the intention of reraising a checkraise enough to let them know I am committed, even though I'm not.

I like line 2 against an aggressive checkraiser because it tends to fold many of the hands I really don't want sticking around. I'd also be more inclined to use this line the more vulnerable my hand is.

I hate betting 50%-100% pot here. The stacks and board are just the right size to get played with from a variety of hands, and a variety of players. Your opponent does not have to be overly aggressive at all the checkraise here. I know you don't mind someone c/ring light, but they will often be doing it with hands that have a decent amount of outs to overtake you. And I believe you can fold several of those hands, whilst still extracting a little bluff money from the villian, by betting a little smaller. You also leave yourself an out and save some of your stack.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:17 PM

(havent read other replies so sorry if my post is redundant)
This is almost impossible to answer without being at the table.
I play this hand a little differently depending on the suits of my TT. As long as he checkraises pretty light and TT wouldnt be a huge dog every time, I get all in on the flop here if I dont have the Tc.

However if I do have the Tc, I like to check behind for pot control, true there are a lot of cards you dont want to see on turn, but you could pick up a draw vs him if hes ahead, and the good thing here is that there is a lot of room in your stack and you can make a read and continue from there. Depending on the turn card and his bet I could see myself calling, raising, and sometimes even folding on the turn.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:22 PM

I seem to agree with Che.

It seems the money is going in if the BB wants to continue with the hand.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:41 PM

I would bet, but in the lower end of your betting range, to leave space for a decent checkraise push and then call the push. It is the best way to induce a bluff I guess. Checking behind will only make him suspicious, and less likely to bluff turn or river; which makes a bet of his on the turn or river very difficult to call (you sort of hand him shania this way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).
Old 10-19-2005, 05:43 PM

One thing about preflop,

why not raise big, to say 4xbb? why let a tricky aggressive player see a cheap flop w/ pretty much any 2 half decent cards?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why not raise big, to say 4xbb? why let a tricky aggressive player see a cheap flop w/ pretty much any 2 half decent cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't playing the BB headsup - he's raising from MP at a full table.

Later,
Che
Old 10-19-2005, 05:50 PM

information leak. im not gonna raise to 2.5x all the time im stealing, but now im in MP and dont want the big blind to call my pretty good hand so I make it 4x. Do that and good players will tear you apart.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't playing the BB headsup - he's raising from MP at a full table.

Later,
Che

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine. Someone who wants to play will come over the top of a 4xbb raise and we'll call them. The person i think the most about when I open raise is the BB. They will be getting the best odds and usually closing the action and they are the one to most be concerned about.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:16 PM

I love how everyone is looking for an exit strategy on this hand, which is really playing right into the BB's hand. He's going to check-raise us ALL THE TIME on this flop. Which is fine, if we just reraise all-in over the top.

So anyway, I'm betting out for 2800 - it's a smallish bet, because I'm trying to keep BB's potential check-raise small enough that I have fold equity when I jam. Anyway, if he calls, then the turn will be pretty complex. If he check-raises, I'm jamming.

Will
Old 10-19-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Results

I did something none of you expected. I bet 3500 on the flop and folded to a push. If I check the flop I think I'm comitting myself to play a big pot because I need to call a big bet on the turn and river if he makes them, and it can get very hard to do that depending on what cards come since there are a lot of ugly looking ones. If I check the flop, I dont really see a benefit to raising the turn as opposed to calling and tempting him into bluffing again. As for not calling the flop push, its close but Im crushed by a K, which he plays this way close to 100% of the time here. While Im way ahead of 9s there just arent that many hands he can have with a 9 in it. And of the flush draws the vast majority are really only 3:2 dogs to me as they have some overcard. Given how close it was (if we were to do the math I dont think a call is more than marginally +EV at best) I decided to fold as my stack was still quite healthy in the middle of the pack, and I was very comfortable at my table. See, I'm not a complete calling station.