Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Can YOU get away from this hand?

Ok, what is your strategy to win the following hand if you are ahead and to be able to let it go if you are not?

It is the Super Tuesday tourney on Party. In the second hour, you have 2050TC compared to an average of 2400TC for those left in the tourney. All the relevant players in this hand have you covered, blinds are 50/100. Table has been generally tight (VPIP=.18 average for table). You pick up JhJd in 3rd position. After two folds, you open for 300. You are called by the CO, Button, and SB. You have now played at least 50 hands with all of these players. Cutoff is fairly tight (VPIP=.14, raise=.05), button is also fairly tight (VPIP=.18, raise=.04), SB is slightly loose (VPIP=.30, raise=.10). The pot heading into the flop is 1300, and you have 1750 chips left.

The flop comes: Ts Td 8s

The SB checks. What is your plan of action to be able to win the hand if you are ahead and get away from it if you are not?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Can YOU get away from this hand?

All-in on the flop. There's no bet that I'm making that will allow me to get away from this hand. I cannot check in this spot either, so no, there's no way to get away from this hand IMO.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:37 PM

I think you're in this for the long haul. Checking here is very weak. I think you just have to push.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:45 PM

Nobody thinks you can bet 550 and see what develops?
Old 08-10-2005, 02:56 PM

To me, what develops is someone goes over the top and you fold (assuming this would be your line since you won't give yourself this out if you don't plan to use it), or they call with nice drawing odds and you are ultra vulnerable to scare cards not too mention made draws on the turn, and just lost ability to generate meaninful FE on a turn bet. Only alternative is check and fold later. Unless you spike a J, or maybe a 10, there isn't much due to come that will help you.

I think this flop isn't great, but without overcards, its a clear push scenario to me, which I expect is rather EV+

Just my .02

P
Old 08-10-2005, 03:02 PM

I hate to reply with another question, but I personally hate these hands, and wonder what to do myself?

But, here is how I look at it. Push? Okay, everyone is folding except someone holding one of the two remaining tens, which your down to the 2 remaining jacks on the turn or the river to not bust.

Check? With an agressive player yet to act he's probably going to bet, and the conservative players are going to check in fear of someone holding the tens.

Bet? My least favorite. Aggressive player comes over the top and your left with a hard decision.

So your left with push or check.

Or you can try what sometimes works for me. The check raise all in, and this is why I like it.

You check, conservative players check, and agressive player bets large amount. Well, why is he betting...to steal the pot. He probably doesn't have the ten. You go all in he folds, and you take down the pot.

Other possibility same situation. You check, and so does everyone else. Hmmmm aggressive player slow playing. You get a free turn....hit a jack...perhaps. You might even see the river for free, or once again aggresive player thinks its time to steal the pot and your left with a hard decision.

Which is really the right decision? Push or check raise all in. Thats the question. Hope I helped and gave you another option.

Side Note. The check raise all in might leave aggressive player pot commited and he may call, but not if he believes your check raising with the ten. This has worked well for me a few times, and burned me as well. That's poker
Old 08-10-2005, 03:07 PM

checkraising is very bad because of the good possibility it gets checked through.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:07 PM

If you bet 550 you are giving anyone acting after you great odds to call (550:1300+550 or about 3.5 to 1). There are a lot of cards that can scare you on the turn and you don't want overcards, straight draws, or flush draws (all of which are present) to be able to see it cheaply.

Likewise, I wouldn't go all in here. You are only going to be called if you are beaten (i.e. an overpair or a 10) and otherwise you don't maximize the amount of money that you could make from the hand. In some instances you might be called by something like AK suited and still end up winning the hand but I still think you are better off not going all in here.

I think I bet about 800-1000 here. Flush draws and the like might still call but at least they would be doing so incorrectly (even with implied odds they are barely getting 3 to 1). If you get reraised all in then you have a tough decision depending on the player you are up against but if you lay it down you still have enough to play with.

On any non scary turn card you go all-in. You probably go all in on any turn card unless it's something like the ace of spades making both an overpair and a flush possible. I might still go all in there but it would depend on my read of the opponents.

Anyway, that's what I would do. I have no idea what those numbers mean (the vpip) because I primarily play live so that may have changed my answer depending.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:12 PM

I push. You're not likely looking at AA, KK, or QQ, or you would have been raised pre-flop. In what situation do these guys call your EP 3xBB raise with a 10 in their hand? Very few, not to mention the decreased odds by one being on the board. My biggest concern, and it is VERY real, is that someone is holding 88 and has flopped a boat. But, that's just a chance I'd have to take. Any other line is just too weak.

Let me guess, you pushed and someone had 88?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:23 PM

In this case, what you suggest is what I did --- I bet 800 figuring I would decide what to do based on the bets. The cutoff raised all-in, the button and SB both folded and it's back to me. The VPIP number by the way is % of the time they have "voluntarily" put in money before the flop. In this case his VPIP of .14 means that only 14% of the time they put money in preflop, i.e. they are folding most of their hands preflop.

So, do you call the all-in raise?