Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Results

The only read I have on this opponent is that I've seen him play a couple of hands in a non-straightforward manner (i.e betting or raising and then folding). But, truthfully the games are so loose and there are so many players going to the flop and beyond that it's hard get reliable reads or remember them.

On top of that, I have two computers. One of them has PT and game time +. I use that computer with PT and GT+ when I multi-table. My other computer doesn't have these tools and I don't multi-table on it. Multi-table+PT+GT+ = WORK. Single table = RELAXATION. I already have a job that is stressful enough. I was single-tabling without PT or GT+. So, I was playing without maximizing my ability to read my opponents.

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop: (6 SB) K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 players)

I checked the flop to see what would develop. UTG's bet is suspect. Why would he bet if he had a K? Does he hate money? Does he hate bad beats? Does he have a K and think someone in the field will think he's full of sh*t and pay him off? Do I think too much? When it's folded to me I decide to raise. I think a check-raise is typical of an early position player who flops trips. I should take it down right there unless he has a K. He calls. WTF? No re-raise? Does he have a K or not? I don't know what that means. He's being a tricky bastard. I must change plan. I don't have a plan for this (that's probably why I suck at poker).

Turn: (5 BB) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

My draw improves. I don't want to get raised because my weak ass will probably fold if I do. So I check/call.

River: (7 BB) Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

I bet and get raised. I remember what another poster pm'd me once. He said you have to get the most with your good hands. He sometimes value bets a bad ace and gets caught. So I re-raise. I'm relieved when he only calls.

He had A8o. MHIG.

When I look backwards on the hand I think there's lots of good things that can be said about my line. But they might only be true if and when I hit my draw. When he calls my flop raise, I think I should go into call down mode. A better hand isn't folding enough times to make a bet worthwhile. But a worse hand will continue to bet enough times to make calling down +ev. If I improve, which I did, I can come back to life and pounce. All input is appreciated.

Thanks,

-DP
Old 08-30-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Results

Folding to a turn raise would have been really bad.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: How should I have played this differently?

Hi Dicey,

I am not liking your flop check-raise at all. It seems to serve two purposes only: a) to narrow the field, but there was a bet in EP instead of LP, which spoils the plan a bit. b) to raise for value, but you checked the turn.

I would have undoubtedly check-called the flop only. If BB called the flop, I would attempt a check-raise on the turn if the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]came, which it did. If BB did not call the flop, I would lead the turn and call a raise, and bet the river of course. I read the results and your river play was great.

But then again, I don't play online. What the hell do I know?!
Old 08-31-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: How should I have played this differently?

The flop c/r is saucy. From there you should have gone for the elusive Trifecta.