Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Need help with this TPTK decision on the River

bet, call a raise. you need to value bet this
Old 08-23-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that KK doesn't raise pre-flop?

I thought about that, but surely if he doesn't raise, he *has* to re-raise pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf KK, doesnt raise preflop and check/calls u down...man, you are killing yourself here. U cannot always think the worst scenario...hell, even the KK scenario makes no freaking sense.

Play good aggressive poker, over time u are making money. Suck outs happen, sometimes alot, but dont always think the worst
Old 08-23-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check, it seems that you are beaten. by checking you protect from a raise:
--if he made his flush.
--if he has been slowplaying a stronger hand: ie; KK

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome first post.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check, it seems that you are beaten. by checking you protect from a raise:
--if he made his flush.
--if he has been slowplaying a stronger hand: ie; KK

[/ QUOTE ]
i like your dress

[/ QUOTE ]
What started as a chuckle deep in my bowels escalated to a full blown guffaw. This is funny shiz.

17th bet/call post in this thread. Easy, easy value bet.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that KK doesn't raise pre-flop?

I thought about that, but surely if he doesn't raise, he *has* to re-raise pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf KK, doesnt raise preflop and check/calls u down...man, you are killing yourself here. U cannot always think the worst scenario...hell, even the KK scenario makes no freaking sense.

Play good aggressive poker, over time u are making money. Suck outs happen, sometimes alot, but dont always think the worst

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstood my post - I thought about KK, but I discounted that as even a remote possibility. Like I said, if he didn't raise PF, he would have to 3 bet me.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Results

Thanks for all of your responses, I am glad to see that most of you agree that a bet is +EV here, since that's what I did.

Unfortunately, he held A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and made two bets from me on the river when I called his raise.

Thanks for all of your replies, I had been kicking myself all week over the bet here, but I guess I was wrong to second guess myself.

The real story behind MP's preflop calls is funny - I ran into him later while we were both eating, it turns out the guy is a 20/40 player who was playing at the 6/12's waiting for his spot to open up. I asked him if he played that loose at 20/40 and he informed me that the reason he played those 5 hands was because he got 77 twice, JTs twice, and A4s - he figured if he hit he would get paid. Looking back now it makes sense...he saw those flops, but didn't risk a lot of chips if the flop missed him. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Results

Thanks for the results. I have been critized by my reply and I was a little curious about what happened. Anyways, I have read several poker books and thats what I thought would be the prudent move... Good luck
Old 08-24-2005, 03:54 AM

The only reasonable draw he could be on is a flush draw and he's got plenty of overlay to call through the turn.

If he's not on a draw, he's got a K with a worse kicker and he's calling you down. But since you raised pre-flop, this seems less likely.

He makes a mistake by not betting this river unless he strongly believes you'll bet it. I would have checked the river in your spot unless I had some other read on my opponent. If the flop had been more coordinated, I'd be more inclined to bet the river. But I don't see what other hand he would have. However, his check on the river might induce a value bet from me.

If the table isn't loose-passive I muck A4s in mp2 pf after two limpers.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the results. I have been critized by my reply and I was a little curious about what happened. Anyways, I have read several poker books and thats what I thought would be the prudent move... Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

KQ, KJ, K9, A8, 98, 87 and maybe more, are all possible holdings from an MP limper here, and all of which will most likely pay off a river bet. Don't be so sure of yourself just because you guessed this hand correctly, checking here is bad at any time.

I'd also like to know what book you've read that advises not to value-bet in this situation.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:48 AM

how bad is bet/fold on the river here?