Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Raising the Blinds: Preflop Bluff

Party Poker
$50NL

Hero ~$40
SB ~$40
BB ~ $35

Hero is dealt 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

2 limpers to Hero who raises to $2. This is a standard preflop raise and Hero will do this with a wide range of hands from AA to total trash and from any middle to late position. Table probably is sick and tired of my raises as I do this every couple of orbits.

SB raises to $3.50. No reads on SB.

BB calls. BB was busted for a $120 pot a few days ago min-raising with AA when Hero hit a straight on the flop. Seems solid, although over plays his TPTK or overpair.

Limpers fold.
Hero calls.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks. BB leads out for $12. Hero?
Old 05-20-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Raising the Blinds: Preflop Bluff

If you're going to try to steal preflop (which I wouldn't do anyways), why do it with complete trash?

Why not wait until you at least have suited cards?
Old 05-20-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to try to steal preflop (which I wouldn't do anyways), why do it with complete trash?

Why not wait until you at least have suited cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

i throw in raises with trash and call if i feel other players will fold or if they are extremely passive. plus it helps me mix it up so that players can't key on what i hold.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:24 PM

It was a bad call to see the flop, but not that you've gotten lucky...

Just call the flop. The other players will put you on a draw and bet out at you. Unless something really scary comes out (i.e. an ace hits the board and you are convinced they have pocket rockets) go ahead and let them bet into you. When they get wise to your trips, raise enough so they want to play sheriff.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was a bad call to see the flop, but not that you've gotten lucky...

Just call the flop. The other players will put you on a draw and bet out at you. Unless something really scary comes out (i.e. an ace hits the board and you are convinced they have pocket rockets) go ahead and let them bet into you. When they get wise to your trips, raise enough so they want to play sheriff.

[/ QUOTE ]

is it a bad call to see the flop? i've got $2 invested already, with ~ $10 in the pot already, is calling for an additional $1.50 a bad idea if i'm pretty sure they are passive 75% of the time post flop? i.e. if they completely miss, there's no continuation bet at all.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:11 PM

You are either way ahead or way behind here. You may be outkicked by 7X, or you may be up against JJ. The trouble is that no matter what comes on the turn or river, unless it's a 7 or 4, you aren't go to like it. I would raise here every time. If you put villain on a big overpair or 7X, but not JJ, consider going all-in here.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:22 PM

I don't think 74o is worth another cent. I'm no math wiz, but I'm guessing the odds of flopping two sevens or better is -EV (anyone want to do the math). What else are you looking for, 568? Not to mention you have are going to trap yourself when you get a piece of the board and end up losing to an inferior hand.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:28 PM

If he thinks there's a good chance he's up against a high pair, he must call the raise. He's getting great implied odds. That he shouldn't raise in the first place is another story.