Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Top Set against Reraise

Hero (BB) ~$80
Villain ~ $40

Table probably views me as LAG. I've been aggressively raising and stealing blinds every couple of orbits. My raise to $2 is a standard raise regardless of hand.

No reads on Villian. Seems passive from the two hands I've seen where she called preflop raises and folded to continuation bets.

Party Poker 6 Max, $50NL

All Limp to Hero in the BB, I raise to $2 with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

All call. Pot $12.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to Hero who bets $6. Villain min-raises to $12.

Hero?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Top Set against Reraise

[ QUOTE ]
Table probably views me as LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Push.
There are many turn cards that will scare you or your opponent.

And do the same when you have a big draw
Old 05-19-2005, 01:47 PM

make it $25

and the rest of their $15 on the turn, easeh.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:49 PM

I like pushing.
Villain only has $26 more anyway.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
make it $25

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks good -- I wouldn't push. There are almost no better hands, so you're not trying to fold a better hand. But a lot of worse hands would fold to a push, and you want them to call. $25 will get them potstuck, and put the rest in on the turn.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
make it $25

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks good -- I wouldn't push. There are almost no better hands, so you're not trying to fold a better hand. But a lot of worse hands would fold to a push, and you want them to call. $25 will get them potstuck, and put the rest in on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is villain going to fold? She will be getting about 2.5:1 to call off the rest of her stack. What possible hand would call a $13 raise but not a $26 raise?
Old 05-19-2005, 02:14 PM

You may be right, but TT or 65 possibly. I admit that's reaching a bit.

But why not spread it out and be more sure of getting them in? There isn't really anything that could fall on the turn that would keep them from calling the rest, right?

I am still evolving from donk, please educate me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2005, 02:26 PM

So I think for a few moments and push. Range of hands that went thru my mind were overpair, smaller set, two pair. The way the table had been playing, they would have smooth called the flop if they were drawing.

Villain calls. Villain turns over 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the flopped straight.

Turn and River don't help me improve. Villain takes down the pot. Pretty sure I wasn't going to get away from this hand, and I definately wasnt expecting a call from 7/8 offsuit.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:36 PM

Yeah, there's no way you're getting away from top set there when you've got a LAG image and there's a potential flush draw on board (although you seem to doubt that it could be a semi-bluff minraise anyways).

I guess the only thing I could say is that your preflop raise is small considering that you had 5 callers already. That means there's already $3 in the pot. So if you're going to raise here then you should raise the whole pot size, up to $3.50. You also want to reduce the number of callers ideally when you're playing a tough hand like 99 out of position. The problem is that with your LAG image your raise might not get enough respect and limit the field like you want it to. But it would have reduced the implied odds for hands like 78.

Alternatively you could just call preflop and play it for the set value (my default play), in which case you would have gone broke here anyways.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:46 PM

I think the push was still the best plan. It's a loose call by the vilian and a great flop for you. Regardless of what the vilian has, you still have decent outs with 2 cards to come. Take the loss and move onto the next hand.