Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 03:20 AM

Default Multitabling Techniques?

Just got my new Samsung 204T 1600-1200, and gave four tabling a shot. Don't know how you guys do it. After 1.5hrs I was spent. Guess it takes some getting used to.

I tried searching for specific techniques for multitabling but was left wanting. I know you want to look for hands that you can fold immediately, but at times I still felt like the proverbial chicken with its head cut off.

I've studied speed reading. One of the techniques is to look at groups of words as opposed to just one. I'm going to try to implement that strategy for multitabling.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Multitabling Techniques?

speed reading are you serious?
ok how 'bout this
can you beat 1 table at a time at a very good rate?
ok can you beat 2 tables at a time at a very good rate?
how 'bout 3? ok how 'bout 4?

Do not just jump in and start playing 4. DO you have real-time stats, like poker tracker+game time+?

Another thing is when u're on the waiting lists, study the game and watch hands and put notes down on whatever you see. So at least you have some reads on 2-3 players before you even start. Once you get comfortable and the hang of things on that table (collecting more reads from people), add on another table and so on. This may help.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:13 AM

Honestly, I don't think there are any tricks, strategies, or techniques to Multi tabling. You just need to be able to think and click fast.

If you were good at micro managing and pumping out units in a game like Starcraft, you should be able to multi table well (assuming you can single table and two table well.) If you stall, hem and haw, and can't deal with lots of things happening at once, it may just be beyond you.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:14 PM

Some people can do it, some people can't. It's something you get better with over time.

Some people can do 2digit by 2digit multiplication fast in their head naturally, others take the time and learn it as they go. It's just a talent type thing that can be learned to some extent.

Definetely don't just jump in and do 4 though. If you are winning at 1, then try winning at 1 while browsing the net, or while chatting with friends whatever. Then play 2 tables, then do 2 tables with distractions etc.

As you get used to it it becomes not much of a problem to play 4 tables while chatting on irc. Especially full-ring.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some people can do it, some people can't. It's something you get better with over time.

Some people can do 2digit by 2digit multiplication fast in their head naturally, others take the time and learn it as they go. It's just a talent type thing that can be learned to some extent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think multiplications in your head are done from memory, but that has nothing to do with it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It will take experience, focus and you do need some kind of talent. You need to be able to pay great attention and think fast. But four tables is easy.
I play SNG's, sets of 9 tables, and although that's relatively simple (not much postflop play), I don't have to click fast at all and I can browse 2+2 and still think about individual hands.

[ QUOTE ]

If you are winning at 1, then try winning at 1 while browsing the net, or while chatting with friends whatever. Then play 2 tables, then do 2 tables with distractions etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOooooo! Don't tell him not to focus on his tables! It's a very bad habit of a lot of players to NOT watch their tables. Always try looking at your tables. If you're getting bored either add more tables or focus more on the table. Try to get reads on all players and think through every hand.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:18 AM

it just takes time to get use to it. go down a level or 2 and start 8 tabling for 10k hands or so and then u'll be perfectly at home multitabling.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:25 PM

I started the year playing 1 table $10's. Everytime I added another table my results would get worse and I ended up making actual notes to myself saying "play one 1 table at a time".

The key to multitabling (unless you are naturally able to) is training your mind. As a few replies have already stated, this cant be done simply by going from 1 to 4 tables.

My year roughly went along the lines ....

1 tabling
2 tabling
1 tabling
2 tabling
4 tabling
2 tabling
4 tabling
6 tabling
4 tabling
8 tabling (current)

I would say im definately not a natural multitabler, but playing 8 tables seems very easy now. Practice is the only thing that will make multitabling ALOT easier over time.

I'd suggest MTH (multi tabler helper), and programs such as poker tracker/PA HUD etc to make it easier for you
Old 12-26-2005, 07:05 PM

I think it's a bad idea to intentionally distract yourself.

Learning to multi-table full ring rather than 6max is a good idea, as is briefly stepping down in limits.

I've been multitabling for 6 months or so, and am starting to do 4 6-max tables on the 2001FP and 4 on the laptop monitor (WUXGA). The main issue I've found is that since I play $2-4 and/or $3-6, bonuswhoring accounts for a good portion of my BBs earned. This means that I'm opening new accounts and playing on different software. Not being used to how the different rooms' software functions can be a hindrance (e.g. I hate having a Bet365 6-max table going with all of these others b/c it doesn't catch my attention fast enough).

To sum up, music=good, tv=bad. Other things, like surfing 2+2 and AIM come with time. GL.