Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: I\'ll tell you who wins the apprentice...

[ QUOTE ]
Now, everyone will remember you as the dick who wouldn't hire her when the boss clearly wanted to.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never watched this show but, if Trump so clearly wanted to hire the woman, why didn't he offer her the job in the first place? or why didn't he overrule the guy when he said there should only be one hire?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Losing the apprentice is probably better than winning. You can probably get a better job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumb quote of the day. Winning gets you a guaranteed million and Trump is there to bounce ideas off of. Losing gets you sympathy points and a job as another run of the mill realty tv promoter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight, you think that winning gets them a super job from Donald Trump, but the person who comes in 2nd is incapable of getting a good job that pays $250k a year? If these people aren't good enough to get real jobs, Trump is never going to let them do anything either.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Choice 2 - Don't Hire Her. Upside is all the glory. You already had that. Downside is huge. You worked for weeks to build a nice guy image. Now, even if you are correct, you appear like a dick. If you had merely won, no one would remember you in a few years. Now, everyone will remember you as the dick who wouldn't hire her when the boss clearly wanted to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he want to be forgotten? Who cares if people view him as a little bit of a hardass, he got a lot of attention for that move from people who never watch the show and that is a definite positive for his career. Who said being a little bit of an [censored] was a bad trait for the head of a company? The fact is, he made the smart move, she wouldn't have been a good hire.

[ QUOTE ]

Sometimes there's a choice between being correct and doing the right thing. He might have been correct, but clearly, it wasn't the right thing to do. You only need to read the Apprentice message boards to know how much he destroyed his rep in just a few seconds. Reputations take a lifetime (or 13 weeks) to build and seconds to destroy. No amount of rationalization or explaining will ever get that back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please dont ever reference the Apprentice message boards as an authority again.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now, everyone will remember you as the dick who wouldn't hire her when the boss clearly wanted to.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never watched this show but, if Trump so clearly wanted to hire the woman, why didn't he offer her the job in the first place? or why didn't he overrule the guy when he said there should only be one hire?

[/ QUOTE ]

Randall was clearly the better candidate on paper. Five degrees, including Ph.D from MIT, Rhodes scholar, runs his own consulting firm, everybody loved him. Minority, winning record, it would be hard NOT to hire him. But Rebecca was clearly a good candidate, no slouch with an economics degree from U. of Chicago, the toughest economics program in the country. And she did almost the entire competition on a broken ankle, while never losing her cool. At 23, she's clearly a superstar, but hasn't had the chance to accumulate the credentials a 34 year-old has. Candidates like her and Randall don't come along every day, so if you have the chance, you would take two.

Clearly he could have overruled if he chose. But on TV, the clock is everything and they just ran out of time. Plus, it was an unprecidented move, so I just think he gave him the choice, fully expecting he would say hire her too. On the Today show, Trump said 99% of people would have made the offer, so clearly he was surprised.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Choice 2 - Don't Hire Her. Upside is all the glory. You already had that. Downside is huge. You worked for weeks to build a nice guy image. Now, even if you are correct, you appear like a dick. If you had merely won, no one would remember you in a few years. Now, everyone will remember you as the dick who wouldn't hire her when the boss clearly wanted to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he want to be forgotten? Who cares if people view him as a little bit of a hardass, he got a lot of attention for that move from people who never watch the show and that is a definite positive for his career. Who said being a little bit of an [censored] was a bad trait for the head of a company? The fact is, he made the smart move, she wouldn't have been a good hire.

[ QUOTE ]

Sometimes there's a choice between being correct and doing the right thing. He might have been correct, but clearly, it wasn't the right thing to do. You only need to read the Apprentice message boards to know how much he destroyed his rep in just a few seconds. Reputations take a lifetime (or 13 weeks) to build and seconds to destroy. No amount of rationalization or explaining will ever get that back.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a hardass is one thing, being a dick is another. And clearly you don't understand the value of good publicity. Lots of people can do a particular job, being liked will often get you that job.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so if you have the chance, you would take two.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was my point - why didn't he just hire both instead of giving Randall the option? did Trump talk about that later?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Losing the apprentice is probably better than winning. You can probably get a better job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumb quote of the day. Winning gets you a guaranteed million and Trump is there to bounce ideas off of. Losing gets you sympathy points and a job as another run of the mill realty tv promoter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight, you think that winning gets them a super job from Donald Trump, but the person who comes in 2nd is incapable of getting a good job that pays $250k a year? If these people aren't good enough to get real jobs, Trump is never going to let them do anything either.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely right, but if you spend half a year trying to get one job, you would probably prefer that to any old job that pays the same amount.

~D
Old 12-16-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Being a hardass is one thing, being a dick is another. And clearly you don't understand the value of good publicity. Lots of people can do a particular job, being liked will often get you that job.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually the first thing that went through my mind as I watched. I think Randall came off as a real tool.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the value of publicity. Which is what Randall is getting for his "dick" move.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Randall was clearly the better candidate on paper. Five degrees, including Ph.D from MIT, Rhodes scholar, runs his own consulting firm, everybody loved him. Minority, winning record, it would be hard NOT to hire him. But Rebecca was clearly a good candidate, no slouch with an economics degree from U. of Chicago, the toughest economics program in the country. And she did almost the entire competition on a broken ankle, while never losing her cool. At 23, she's clearly a superstar, but hasn't had the chance to accumulate the credentials a 34 year-old has. Candidates like her and Randall don't come along every day, so if you have the chance, you would take two.

Clearly he could have overruled if he chose. But on TV, the clock is everything and they just ran out of time. Plus, it was an unprecidented move, so I just think he gave him the choice, fully expecting he would say hire her too. On the Today show, Trump said 99% of people would have made the offer, so clearly he was surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

So because 99% of people would have made the move that makes it correct?

99% of people are successful business owners?