Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Harrington on Hold\'em

I ahve yet to read his book, but I hear only good things. Is it applicable to online mtts as well? Is there a better source of strategy advice for online torunies? Is it too dense for someone who's only been playing a year and had a bit of trouble with the more complex parts of TOP?

Thanks, looking to get into online mtt's mainly for teh satelittes to live tournies.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Harrington on Hold\'em

Yes. Some of the hands he uses are from online mtts. HOH1 is one of the best poker books out there. I haven't read HOH2, but from what I hear about HOH2 the strategy is more controversial(sp).
Old 11-26-2005, 05:55 PM

It's the best for any no-limit tourney. Just buy and read.

I win and play high in large-field tourneys regularly with about 6 months experience (and a lot of study) from these two beauties. Vol.1 essential, Vol.2 more sophisticated and less gross improvement to your game (but still essential IMHO).
Old 11-26-2005, 05:58 PM

HOH 1 is VERY solid, and there's no better source on mtts. You will have no trouble with comprehension at your experience level. If you have followed the mtt forums here for any period of time, you should breeze through with no trouble at all and come out with no fuzzy areas.

I had high expectations before reading vol 1, and was surprised at how little info it provided beyond what I had learned here (with extensive 2+2 research). What it did do beautifully was to reinforce and crystallize the tactics I had adopted, and give me the reassurance that I was on the right path.

I'm in no way saying that it isn't worth getting. It's not only worth getting, but almost essential. My point is only that if you've studied here you probably not only have the basics of hoh down, you likely have them mastered.

Hoh vol 2 is also very well structured and comprehensive. It's a very useful tool full of relevant and applicable concepts, and even though I didn't agree with the material as wholeheartedly as vol 1, it should still be an essential study in my opinion.

Hope this helps...
Old 11-26-2005, 06:02 PM

I bought both books.. read through HOH1 once so far, plan on rereading it before moving onto the second book. I've found it to be pretty helpful so far. It was only recently that I decided to focus exclusively on STT and MTT (no cash games).. I'd suggest reading at least the first one, I can't give you any opinion on the second yet.

While watching Harrington have success in the WSOP in the past, I had thought to myself "Wow, I'd like to know what his plan of attack is." People usually comment that he is just a very conservative, very tight player.. but you can't expect to win any tournaments playing that way, so obviously there was something more to it.

I've enjoyed it, and I think it has improved my play after the first reading. Obviously it will take a few more times reading it through, and long term tournament results to make any accurate judgement though.

I don't see how you can go wrong reading it. If you study this book it should make you better than the average tournament player.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:35 PM

Thanks guys, getting the book for sure. The cash games seem to beckon me back though, I lost the first 7 mtts I played, all tonight, fields of 200-600, no money at all, best I got was 102/543 or something. Took some horrible beats, flopped nut str8 got cracked by runner runner flush in one to take me from 20th in chips down to 2 big blinds. Also, lost a few coinflips.

To cool down I played some cash games... quickly made back the buy-ins and more, the cash game gods won't let me do easy, but I feel like I need to focus on one format to improve m play [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2005, 07:46 PM

If you want to improve your hold 'em game, you MUST buy this book, vol I & II.

It is a little tough at times, but just go back and read the chapter again if not sure about anything.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:39 PM

I've read both volumes in the last two weeks and am winning consistently now in NL Sit and Go tournaments. Incredibly in-depth. Over 800 pages combined on NO Limit Hold-em tournament play. It really teaches the reader how to think like Harrington thinks in a tournament, which is much more sophisticated than the average professional player. To everyone who studies this book, and really, really learns the concepts, the sky is the limit. I've played 20 sit and go tournaments since reading volume 1. Results: 10 first place finishes, five 2nd place finishes, third once, and out of the money four times.