Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: AA in big blind

geez, can you not do math?

hero raises to 100, not raises 100. that means they only have to call EIGHTY, which if i assume correctly, multiplied by 7.5, is 600, definitely in hero's stack for implied odds. plus whatever's in the pot.

if the hero is fine with getting these many calls, he should either check raise all in the flop or bet, planning to go to the felt once he gets called as the pot is MUCH to big to fold the turn for 400.

once he makes the reraise and when the pot grows to 80xBB on the flop, and he's only got 120xBB behind, he's damn well going to the felt with that hand on that relatively harmless board. but that opens him up to be vulnerable from someone (maybe multiple people) getting proper odds for their set. what hands would call a reraise to 20xBB that wouldn't call one for 30xBB in a LAG table as the hero describes it? price them when they're begging to call, so the error hero makes on the flop isn't as great if they do hit their set. reraising to 150 not necessarily is for kicking people out of a pot, but raising it to a point where the hero can comfortably push or check raise all in as a +EV venture.

why don't YOU reread again and do the math carefully please.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please reread again. Hero did not give implied odds for a set as 100 is 1/7th his stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming Hero is felting it against one player, which is most likely:

Hero has $750 in front of him. Assume he gets one caller who has him covered.

Pot is $102 once Hero calls. Hero raises an additional $80. He has $650 left.

Caller needs to call $80 to win $102 + $80 + $650 = $832. So he's getting implied odds of 832:80, or 10.4:1.

Odds of flopping a set are 7.5:1. One caller would be getting correct odds to call here.

If Hero raises to $150 and gets one caller, then the caller will be calling $130 to win $832. So he would be getting implied odds of 832:130, or 6.40:1.

Hero definitely should raise to more than $100. I like technologic's suggestion of raising to $150.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why don't YOU reread again and do the math carefully please.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] it, I already did it.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:44 PM

I don't think we can conveniently ignore set over set but I'll accept that in this situation perhaps 100 is a bit too low.

I still don't think its as big a mistake as some of you guys make it out to be.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:53 PM

Make life easy on yourself. Make it 250-300 to go. Then push any flop. Tip your hat to anyone who outflops you.

Chances are you win $80 and move onto the next hand. And if you get action you're getting way the best of it as they dont have odds to outdraw you.

Note the first caller of your $80 more to go raise is getting 2-1. Each additional caller is getting way better than that.

Simple logic dicates that the initial raiser will probably call giving everyone else the odds to go along for the ride.

Raise more!
Old 02-08-2005, 06:12 PM

i check/ insta call the turn, i think the play was pretty fine, i could be wrong but by checking on the turn it looks so much like you're backing off the throttle with QQ/JJ

that reason alone makes me think that calling is completely the right play