Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: AA in big blind

Wow, that's a little weird, I played an AA hand from the BB with a K98 flop yesterday too... the flop was K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I bet the flop someone came over the top and I folded, not worth posting, but almost the same hand, AA in BB, k98...
Old 02-07-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Today I am so pissed I should just punch myself in the face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:20 PM

Wow, these forums get worse and worse everyday.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:52 PM

are we reading the same situation?

EP raised to 20 (4xBB), hero reraised to 100, 5 times villains raise.

How is that small?
Old 02-07-2005, 04:27 PM

It was an aggressive game, lots of raising, already a raise and callers. Reraise by Hero got three callers. I am saying the raise was not big enough to narrow the field, or give poor odds to someone with a small or medium pair who had already called the initial raise. Again, this is evidenced by the fact that he got three callers on his reraise. Expecting the initial raiser to call, the raise needs to be bigger to reduce the implied odds of those behind him. Big raise is a relative term, so I will just say Hero may have created a more favorable position for himself by making a bigger re-raise. I would much rather limit the field in this situation. Especially out of position this is a better play IMHO.

Magik
Old 02-07-2005, 08:12 PM

I'm not sure hero could have realized that a 5X reraise of the initial raise was not enough to get it headsup.

obviously if hero made a bigger reraise we can say that its possible he would have limited the field but its also possible it wouldn't have.

In a standard game typically 3X original raise is enough to get it headsup at least. The fact that hero went to 5x shows that he already knows the calling station nature of the table and adjusted. I'm not sure he could have known he would get called by 3 people.

Its like saying if I raise preflop for 20xBB with AA and get 3 callers, you can't exactly tell me that if I raised for 40x, I would have gotten fewer callers. There is no way to quantify it.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, these forums get worse and worse everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]
Care to explain?
Old 02-07-2005, 09:18 PM

An open raise to 3xbb may get heads up, but after a raise and two callers a significant reraise is called for. Hero, if he has a good feel for the table, would likely know how much to reraise to achieve the desired result. Not knowing any more about that table, I would have raised to at least $150. You already know that several people like their hands. It's time to make them pay to play. Equating this to an open raise to 3xbb is like comparing apples to oranges.

Magik
Old 02-07-2005, 09:44 PM

If I was villian in this hand it would look to me that Hero has QQ, so it would not take a set for me to push ya all in there. Also, if I had a set I wouldn't just push all in when you check to me on the turn, I would bet about half your stack and try and get some value.
Villian didn't show you anything to let you know your Aces aren't good, so why check the turn? He called the flop so you were checking folding the turn? Or you call a smaller bet? Call the turn.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:57 PM

all right i will assume that all opponents have you covered.

there is 87 in the pot when it is hero's turn to act. if he calls the raise there is around 100 in pot and 4 people to act. thus he should make the raise to 100 for a decent pot sized raise. since there are so many callers, at least two, i would assume would call, as EP would probably call, creating a domino effect of calling. by betting only 80 more, villains have proper odds for catching a set, especially since hero's hand SCREAMS AA.

thus after reading the hand again, i would have to say raise to 150 instead of 100 preflop.

once you're in there with that hand, bet the crap out of it. if i understand correctly, you folded for 400 dollars in a 1300 dollar pot, getting 3-1. you have to be PRETTY damned sure he has 88/99 to fold there i think, and you're not in too bad shape if he has two pair. and that's also why you raise more pf to price them for their set draw for times when you have AA and they don't catch.