Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Re: AA in big blind

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe the proper play in this position is moving all-in before the flop. This does two thingsne it puts your opponent to a major decision for a lot of money and two it takes away any chance of someone having 8,9 or even a smaller pair. Get your money in the pot when you have the best of it. This is a perfect position to either steal a few bets or end up heads up for big money with the odds in your favor. Never just give people free cards unless there's a reason for it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You "put someone to a decision" because you would like them to fold. If you were to make the ridiculous move of raising all in here it would be because you wanted your opponent and the other 8 players at the table to call you.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only hands that are going to call have you beat, maybe except A/K... but no one else raised preflop so it's unlikely that you're up against that. You were both weak and tight and he outplayed you. He pushes you on the flop, you push him back. He pushes a third time over top of you and you have to run, but when a weak tight pushes back the worst LAG's lay down hands.
Just my opinion.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:51 PM

First of all, I believe you would have been better off raising more preflop. The fact that you got three callers would seem to indicate this. You would rather not play AA out of position against this many players. This would have simplified the play post flop, as your flop bet would have made sure you followed through and not "chickened out" because you would have 2/3 of your stack in and not "just" 1/2. Given the situation, I would have just moved in on the turn. If he is lucky enough to outdraw your aces, take your medicine. If you are really that concerned or scared at this level, I would highly recommend stepping down in limits.

Magik
Old 02-04-2005, 01:40 AM

i like everything but the turn fold
Old 02-05-2005, 01:53 AM

I have to agree with magickid. If you make it 200 to play the hand is a lot simpler as you garentee to reduce the field. You get one caller maybe QQ or AK and you move on the flop using your negtive position. The decision is now on them to make a bad play.

Remember AA will either win a small amount or loose you a lot, its all dependent on the the other hands at the table. Just hope one of them can't lay down KK or QQ on a dry flop.

Always check the pot before you raise, as a hand like 89 suited becomes far more attractive when 2 or more people are in. Just remove yourself from the decision and put the pressure on as that is the way to beat NL.

Good Luck!
Old 02-05-2005, 03:20 AM

Why are we criticizing the turn fold so much?

with 4 to the flop, its highly likely for villain to hit a set.

What hands do you call a reraise cold with preflop? only pocket pairs typically for set value. I doubt villain is on AK.

I think this is a good fold.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:42 PM

Very well may be a semi bluff because hero showed weakness by checking the turn. The preflop raise was so small, villain may have any number of hands, had a draw on the flop, picked up a bigger draw on the turn, and now is counting on fold equity from his weak tight opponent. Hero may have been beaten, but he already had half his stack in the middle. I'm not sure what I would do in the situation though, because I would have made a much larger raise preflop and that would have avoided this situation.

Magik
Old 02-06-2005, 03:23 AM

This sounds like a crazy loose game (4 players for 20bb preflop??!); given that level of insanity, I disagree that opponent is only going to stick around with a set.

(Your preflop play is fine; you can't smooth call with aces with three other players, and I would expect $100 to get heads-up, possibly a splendid result like a reraise...)

All-in on the flop seems OK to me, since that's not too big an overbet. Your line is fine too, but I would bite the bullet and get all-in on the turn. If you had $1000 at the start of the hand, then I would start thinking more about folding postflop.)
Old 02-06-2005, 04:13 AM

It sounds to me like your real problem is your table image. If you're going to let people slap you around, you're definetly sitting at the wrong table. I'd say reraise a little more heavily there. Not quite 200. More like 150. Then, dependent on the number of heads in the pot, lead w/ a bet, or check raise all in on the flop.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:01 AM

it seems to me that you were asking to be bluffed on the river, i like preflop and flop play, however i think i would've pushed all in on the turn and just pay-off the 89, 88, or 99.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:29 AM

If I was you I would bet all in pre flop, not re-raise. Why? Because y have AA, becouse y have few players who called raise and if y bet preflop allin y are favorite anyway, so I dont find any reasons why to raise to 100 and not to allin! In case if y had 2 way preflop then its ok, but y had few callers.. Its my opinion. This guy maight had AK. And y should definetly play stronger on flop.