Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: B&M: Telling Mr. Helpful to shut up

[ QUOTE ]
Am I crazy, or is the correct response to say

"He's absolutely right. I would fold if I were you."

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it? I thought I handled it nicely by sitting there silently despite Mr. Helpful's advice and got an over the top raise from the guy.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are probably other people there who feel the same way about this guy. You should bring it up with the organizer, not because the guy is an ass, but because the guy could put off new people and limit the fun and scope of the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will do this. My only qualm with doing this is I believe Mr. Helpful is good friends with the organizer, and I refuse to cause unneccesary b.s. I would much rather wait for him to do it again and say something directly to him.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Am I crazy, or is the correct response to say

"He's absolutely right. I would fold if I were you."

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it? I thought I handled it nicely by sitting there silently despite Mr. Helpful's advice and got an over the top raise from the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you can't argue with results.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:21 PM

One time at a home game, I bet the river with a good hand, and the player second to act looked really distressed. Finally, he asked the active player behind him if he was planning to call. Before the player could respond, I stopped their conversation, explaining the one player to a hand rule. I hate home games.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are probably other people there who feel the same way about this guy. You should bring it up with the organizer, not because the guy is an ass, but because the guy could put off new people and limit the fun and scope of the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will do this. My only qualm with doing this is I believe Mr. Helpful is good friends with the organizer, and I refuse to cause unneccesary b.s. I would much rather wait for him to do it again and say something directly to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're going to look like a bitch either way, but maybe there is a third way to handle this... How about asking around to the other players and seeing if any of them feel the way that you do? With other people behind you, it won't look like it is just you with a vendetta and the guy will have to do something about it or else lose a bunch of players.

btw - The organizer dude probably knows his friend is a jerk, but lets it slide as "that is just how he is". When he sees that it affects the game, he will do something about it.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:04 PM

LOL. You're right, I will. Oh well.

I like your idea. As I said earlier, he's pissed off quite a few people with his table talk.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:37 PM

Next time it happens, start off with a polite "You really should'nt be giving out advice on how to play while the hand is still live." Try to get some other players behind you, but don't be too confrontational at first. If he continues, ask again, but be more annoyed without making him feel personally attacked.

If this doesn't work, talk to the tournament director, and ask him what the policy is on players not involved in hands giving out advice when the hand is in play. Don't directly mention the guy by name yet. Once you (hopefully) get a ruling that that is not allowed, you can use that to make another request to your player, this time bringing over the TD and having him explain his policy.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

.......kick him in the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-10-2005, 06:35 PM

Default I agree

I wouldn't wait until it happened to you to do this. YOu have to blow up about it, show how much are pissed, tell him he is out of line and to shut the hell up when he is not in the hand. I saw this happen to a guy who honestly did know what he was doing was out of line (he just liked impressing people with his knowledge). He didn't like being made an ass of and called out on his action or the uneasy atmosphere that was created and shut up for that night. Plus I think others would back you.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:50 PM

"Hey Mike Sexton, STFU k thx" usually works well.