Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 09:04 PM

Default River decision in big pot

SB was a super maniac something like 63/33/2.7. He play was quite varied, sometimes he capped with no pair no draw, sometimes he check called top pair.

UTG is a relativley solid LAG who played about as well as any other 34/15/1.2.

My main question is the river but if you play anything else differenty let me know.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, HERO?????
Old 12-10-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Re: River decision in big pot

I like calling the 3-bet on the flop, and raising the turn. I am not sure what to think about SBs lead on the turn again. I definetly don't think we have enough value for a raise, since he could have AA, JJ, QQ, even if he is a maniac.

Does UTG know SB is a maniac? He could be thinking that he is ahead of SB, but wants you out incase you have a better hand. I think I probably call getting 10:1, but if it comes back capped, I think I have to fold.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:33 PM

I call the flop 3-bet and C/R the turn. Rver sucks, but I call and hope UTG has J8 or something similar. If it comes back capped, I fold.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:50 PM

I was thinking about raising the turn but then I realized that with two looseish players there were almost no turn cards that I really wanted to see. The Q was clearly not such a great card so I slowed it down again.

I'm curious to hear more people's opinion about the turn as well as the river.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:27 PM

It's hard to recommend anything else on the flop and turn now that I've seen UTG as the "sleeper" on the river. If I don't see UTG's action on the river then I'd suggest just calling the 3 bet on the flop and raising the turn, esp. w/ a maniac in the mix... my guess is that UTG might wake up by then but maybe not. Either way this pot is getting too big to fold if it gets crazy on the turn.

The way you played it, it's hard to see what we beat versus UTG at this point. QJs or AQ is all I can come up with; QJs being more likely. I'm probably folding with your read.