Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 07:06 PM

Default A challege for wussies like me

Repeat after me. "My name is _______ and I am risk adverse."

When it comes to my poker bankroll, I will admit that I am a major wuss. I have been playing steadily for the last two years. I happily book a small win each month, but I have barely moved up in levels in all that time. I find I like the slow and steady approach, rather than the run and gun gamble up.

There was a post this week about a guy who tries to turn $100 into $10k. This got me thinking about my own style of play and made me realize it is time for something new.

I am going to begin with $100 and 4-table SNG's one set at a time until I reach $1000. I am starting at the 10's and will only play a higher limit when I have more than 10 buy-ins for that level (dropping down levels if necessary). Once I reach $1000 I will take a look back at my stats and decide from there where to go next.

In doing this, I am hoping to accomplish the following:

Play at the higher limits. So far, I have rarely ventured above the 30's. In my challenge, I hope to try each level, including the 100's. Only by playing against better players will I get good feeling about my game and where I can play the best (aka most profitable).

Try something new. This is my first challenge, and I am looking foward to something that is not the usual grinding style I've been doing so far.

Don't be a bankroll pussy. In playing this challenge, I will NOT think about how much I've won for the week/month, etc. I am sticking to my goal until I've lost the $100 or won the $1000. If this means I don't book my monthly win, so be it. I'm hoping this will allow me to focus on the game, rather than my monetary wins and loses.

Because I work a full time job and have a small child at home, I do not get a lot of time for poker, so I am not putting any time frame on this challenge. However, I welcome anyone who would like to join in. If people are interested I will post meaningful stats as I get them.

Good luck.

Amid = Denim = Groo
Old 09-22-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Re: A challege for wussies like me

[ QUOTE ]
here was a post this week about a guy who tries to turn $100 into $10k. This got me thinking about my own style of play and made me realize it is time for something new.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't jump off the cliff after him...
Old 09-23-2005, 10:56 AM

Good luck on you challenge.

I can relate to the risk-aversion. I have love to book small wins and call it a day (maybe 15-20bb's). And I don't move up until I have booked 1000bb's at each level. That would be fine if I didn't start this system at play money, then .01/.02, then .02/.04 etc. After a year I am now within a few days of finishing off .10/.20 finally. I have managed to turn $25 into $450 over that time and it keeps compounding, but man it takes forever. Oh well, I guess I'm not going to go pro any time soon...LOL.

Seriously though, I envy those people who can get in a lot of hands and not be results oriented. I guess I get so much satisfaction from making progress, even gradually, that the hobby has been immensely satisfying even though I am taking it so slow. Weird thing is that I am a money manager by day, and I have no problem moving around large sums of money based on my assessments in this arena so it is weird that I am so risk-averse in poker with such small amounts of money.

Best....
Old 09-23-2005, 11:11 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I opened this post and thought nolanfan? and then I was like wait no.....
Old 09-23-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I opened this post and thought nolanfan? and then I was like wait no.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Guilty as charged. However, this happens to be my favorite moment in sports. The day of the fight also happens to be my wedding aniversary, and my kid's middle name is Ryan (and my wife doesn't know it's because of Nolan).
Old 09-23-2005, 05:41 PM

Good luck. I don't think you are starting with enough to deal with a shot of bad variance, but I know that is not the point here. If you play well and run well, it's not out of the question for you to make this work. And if it doesn't work out, hey atleast you had fun right!

I really hope you do well -- for all us risk averse guys out there (like me)!
Old 09-25-2005, 09:39 AM

"My name is jb and I am risk adverse."

I like this idea, and I have been in a bit of a rut lately and could use a change of pace. If you don't mind, I'll follow your lead.

I've set aside $110 for the $11SNGs and will lose it or move up to the $22s at $220, $33s at $330, etc. I'll keep going until Halloween.

I've played a bunch of $11s and $22s before but only 2 or 3 $33s and never anything higher. I've never 4 tabled SNGs before, so I'll start with 2 tables and see if I can handle more.

I also don't have much time to play, so there will probably only be a few days a week where I can play more than 1 batch.

FWIW, I played my first 7 $11s last night with one 1st place, one 2nd place, and one 3rd place finish (+$23).

Good luck and thanks for the idea.