Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 07:09 PM

Default 15-30 Hand

Still learning, so forgive me if this is basic. 15-30 on Party. I have 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in a 6 handed game. I'm on the button. One limper, I call (automatic raise...or do you only raise this if you can build a volume pot), SB calls, BB checks. Flop comes 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] giving me big trips. SB bets, fold to me, I raise, SB reraises and I call. Turn comes the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] giving me low backup. He bets, I raise, he reraises, I call. River is the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He bets, I call. Comments? Too much on the turn?

Jeff
Old 08-31-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Re: 15-30 Hand

Especially at level where players are more apt to be trying to be tricky I'd just grin and bear it (call).
Old 08-31-2005, 09:59 PM

Jeffage - Wow. Really looks like SB has a full house when he re-raises on the second betting round, doesn't it? Maybe nines full of fours, maybe fours full of nines.

If that's true, you're hoping to pair your ace or ten on the turn and feel enigmatic about pairing your deuce.

But you miss on the turn and SB bets right into you again. You do have a low draw and trip nines. But unless the river card is a ten, it doesn't look as though you have much of a chance to scoop. An ace makes aces full for you but might give your opponent a low. A deuce might be a disaster for you. Sixteen cards, fives, sixes, sevens, and eights, make you the nut low. But mostly, if your oppoennt does have a flopped full house, you're taking it on the chin.

[ QUOTE ]
Too much on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

For sure.

In my humble opinion. I think your hand/board fit in this betting sequence rates no more than a call on the turn.

Buzz
Old 08-31-2005, 10:34 PM

I don't play anywhere close to this limit, but I think I slow down after villian's 3-bet on the flop (unless this guy is a complete donk). You're probably up against 9xxx 94xx or 44xx and given your weak kicker, your set isn't that strong so you're drawing for a boat. Granted, I've seen trickier players play big overpairs the same way, I still don't like being in this situation with a hand like this.

I do like the raise on the flop, but I call the turn and call the river - had your low hit on the river, turn it back up and raise.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and given your weak kicker, your set isn't that strong

[/ QUOTE ]
His kicker is an Ace
Old 09-01-2005, 09:19 AM

I have to agree with the others.

The re-raise on the flop tells me he has a good hand.

Once you see the re-raise on the turn, I would have to say he flopped the full house or has 9 good kicker (might not be as good as your kicker).

I check call the river.

By the way, I wouldn't have raised pre-flop either in this case.

Dave
Old 09-01-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Still learning, so forgive me if this is basic. 15-30 on Party. I have 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in a 6 handed game. I'm on the button. One limper, I call (automatic raise...or do you only raise this if you can build a volume pot), SB calls, BB checks. Flop comes 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] giving me big trips. SB bets, fold to me, I raise, SB reraises and I call. Turn comes the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] giving me low backup. He bets, I raise, he reraises, I call. River is the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He bets, I call. Comments? Too much on the turn?

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still learning too but I'd likely raise pre-flop from the button with this hand. It seems to me that your turn raise is fine. You are representing strength, which you definitely have here, but him re-raising sounds to me like he flopped 9s over 4s. You should see the river since you can still scoop the pot or get half, but then the river bet by him probably means you should fold. Then again this is something I have a problem with. In this spot I might convince myself he has a similar hand to my own and make a crying call here.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:14 AM

Default RESULTS

Thanks for the responses (and more are welcome). My opponent showed A965 of various suits so we chopped the pot. How out of line was his turn play (or was it not out of line at all)?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-01-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and given your weak kicker, your set isn't that strong

[/ QUOTE ]
His kicker is an Ace

[/ QUOTE ]

Noted. Don't know how I missed that.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses (and more are welcome). My opponent showed A965 of various suits so we chopped the pot. How out of line was his turn play (or was it not out of line at all)?

Thanks,
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

When you raise on the button, your opponent puts you on AA or A2. Since you raised the flop, he is putting you on AAXX. He is having difficulty putting you on two other cards (The "XX" in AAXX, A2XX) that beat his high. Can you really have exactly 44 or 94 for your flop raise? No, its more likely in his mind you have AA on the flop, and on the turn - AA2X.

Keep in mind that guys will represent trips a lot in 0-8, especially short handed on a flop with one or no low cards. Standard bluff, so he is putting you on AA plus a low draw on the turn reading him for a trips bluff.