Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 04:04 PM

Default My next read is...?

I've been playing for a few months and have made some general progress in my game: starting hand selection, understanding pot odds, etc. I regularly do well in my home game (although most of the guys in it are...not so good) and have won a few SnG's on-line ($5 tables) and have finished on the bubble a few more times.

I'm ready to really get down to learning and it seems to me that the next book to read is SSHE...yes?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: My next read is...?

You haven't told us what you've read so far. If SSHE is going to be your first book, don't do it. You should start with Hilger's Internet Texas Hold'em in my opinion. Once you've grasped that, SSHE may be the next step. Sklansky's Theory Of Poker should also come early.

Regards,

T
Old 03-22-2005, 04:36 PM

Ah, yes. Well I've been working on Ken Warren Teaches Texas Hold'em (which, in my defense, I picked up prior to finding this forum and reading a lot of negative stuff about it). I also read Phil Gordon's book.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:57 PM

can you explain why SSH shouldn't be someone's first book? i'm curious and only because it was my first book and, while it is difficult to understand COMPLETELY, i think it is a great book.

so should i stop reading the book and start over with something else? (ps i just got Theory of Poker because i'm finishing up the Hand Quizzes now.) i read part of Chapter 1: really helped understand more of the "WHY" for the suggestions in SSH.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:00 PM

b/c sshe is a little more advanced than a true beginner's book. you, however don't seem to be a true beginner. i'd say sshe is fine, but maybe try WLLH first.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:34 PM

I say Hold'em Poker by David Sklansky first then SSHE
Old 03-23-2005, 01:02 PM

You asked for one book but I'm giving you six.

Poker is hard to learn how to play.

The price of buying six books is totally insignificant compared to what it will cost if you don't buy them.

If you want to learn limit poker,
buy and read in this order:

WLLH
ITH
SSH
Middle Limit Holdem
HEPFAP

To play in NL also read:

Super System,
PL&NL
HoH
Old 03-23-2005, 03:08 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the input. I've decided to go with WLLH. Skimmed at the store and it looks to be a good fit with where I am at present.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:25 PM

I liked dan harrigton on hold'em, i thought i was well written and understandable
Old 03-24-2005, 12:47 PM

Hold'em Poker by Sklansky would be a great place to start. WLLH is also a one that can/should be read early on. Getting Started in Hold'em by Miller (expected to be out around the 1st of April) I expect may replace HP as the most rcomended starting hold'em book. Watch for it or preorder it.

As soon as you are able to follow the, not so easy, reading of most 2+2 books I highly recomend Theory of Poker (TOP) by Sklansky. If you can follow and understand SSH there is no reason why TOP should not follow it. It is the best cover-to-cover poker related book ever writen and a must read for any serious player.

P.S. Use the Warren book (only since you already own it) as great examples of how not to play. He may very well be the worst poker author out there.