Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 07:23 PM

Default found leak in my play, need help pls

Its pretty easy. I've been loosing money with cards like AJ-AQ suited of offsuite. In late position there is no problem, I have been making money with it but the big problem is when I'm in early position. I usually just limp in with AQ in early position and might call a raise depending on the person that raises preflop.
Once on the flop I play according to the player and cards on the board. here is an example hand.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) converter

Hero ($138.30)
MP1 ($103.20)
MP2 ($13.85)
MP3 ($34.40)
CO ($70.25)
Button ($98.30)
SB ($65.95)
BB ($109.75)
UTG ($100.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls $3.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $3.

Flop: ($13) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls $5.

Turn: ($23) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, SB calls $6.

River: ($35) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $4</font>, Hero calls $4.

Final Pot: $43

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Ks As (one pair, aces).
Hero has Ac Qc (one pair, aces).
Outcome: SB wins $43. </font>

and this is typical and seems to happen to me all the time. Any Ideas to how I can avoid this, and I'd also like to know a couple of ideas on how to play these kind of hands in early position.
thanks
later
Old 06-29-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: found leak in my play, need help pls

You lost a very small pot with AK against AQ. Not a huge deal really. Traditional advice is don't call raises OOP with AQ. And if you do, try not to lead out, because it will shutdown AJ/AT.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:41 AM

What about shorthanded... I've been playing these hands fast from early position in 6 max game... is this how they should be played?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:09 AM

I agree with xorbie. Try not to call with AQ OOP. Try to be the aggressor in with AQ and if you get re-raised muck.

I've experimented with this and I found that limp/calling AQ from EP is not the way to go. It's funny how letting go of AJ/AT is much easier then AQ. This is probably why brunson never used to play it. Hope that helped.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:15 AM

I have the same problem. I wonder if the times that Villian has AJ or AT make up for the times he has AK. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference with these bets. Maybe playing AQ this way from EP is +EV if he only has AK 1/3 of the time. JMO. I've personally never been able to lay down AQ to a 4BB LP raiser. Perhaps if you had been the original raiser it would be different-- he'd reraise you and you'd fold. Then again many wouldn't reraise with AK. I've tried both limping and raising AQ from EP and I've lost at showdown to AK in both cases. Go figure.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:32 AM

I believe a strong raise (4xBB) from EP makes playing AQ a lot easier. Most callers in this situation will have no worst than AQ, and most often AK or 88+. This raise SHOULD eliminate AJ/AT.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe a strong raise (4xBB) from EP makes playing AQ a lot easier. Most callers in this situation will have no worst than AQ, and most often AK or 88+. This raise SHOULD eliminate AJ/AT.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is good ...... why ?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:16 AM

Where are the players out there that are calling UTG raises with AJ and A10? What are they doing when the A hits and they are bet into, getting stacked?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:25 AM

If the flop comes as above, you can make a 3/4-pot sized bet. Underpairs are generally scared off by the ace, and a call usually means you are either up against another AQ or AK meaning you can check-fold the turn if called. Is this too weak against a solid player?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where are the players out there that are calling UTG raises with AJ and A10? What are they doing when the A hits and they are bet into, getting stacked?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming that their relation to UTG is like UTG's relation to the LP raiser, that is, they'll pay off small value bets with a worse ace. Still, Hero as UTG has no idea that those callers are AJ rather than AK.