Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Playing on a Mac

Yes, I'm hard-core Mac guy; always have been.

I've been playing on Pokerroom, since their Java client runs natively on the Mac. I do have a few questions:

1) Does anyone know if any sites are offering clients that run natively on the Mac?

2) Is there anyway to use the Bison Hand Converter with HH from pokerroom when using the Java client (the HH don't download to my Mac; I have to look them up through the web interfacce)

3) Is there anything like pokertracker available for the Mac and, if so, is there any way for it to work with the Pokerroom java client?

4) Has anyone run any of this stuff (clients from other sites, PT, etc.) on a Mac running VirtualPC and, if so, how is it?

Thx in advance.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Playing on a Mac

I play on a PC and on a Mac, so I can tell you what I know, which isn't much.

1. I don't know of any sites with software specific to the Mac. I was going through this a few months ago, and had to do something different. Read below.

2 & 3. Don't know, but I'll guess that either of these will work just fine with Virtual PC.

4. I finally got a copy of Virtual PC to overcome these problems. I installed it, and I use the Pokerstars client frequently with it. It seems to work as well as it does on my PC, albeit quite a lot slower. The screen setup makes multi-tabling hard, but it can be done. It's not perfect, but it will do in a pinch. I haven't tried any other clients, but I will probably be installing Paradise soon.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:35 PM

Bugsysclub has an OS X client. I don't play there myself, as the choice of games is rather lacking, but see it for yourself.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:50 PM

I was a mac guy too at one point. I have a couple mac desktops collecting dust in my basement studio that I now only use for the music studio software I have. Mac guys hate hearing this but if you are serious about poker you should sell your soul to the devil and buy a PC. You can pick up a real cheap one and it will pay for itself (and a brand new mac too if you want to make yourself feel better about being a PC sellout!) Virtual PC sucks. I highly doubt you could run pokertracker, gametime+ and 4-8 tables on it without your processor exploding and killing your entire family. At least PC's are easily upgradable and customizable and affordable.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:01 PM

if you're willing to spend $100 on Virtual PC, might as well spend $300 on a cheap PC w/monitor. pays for itself with just one week of bonus whoring. I've been Mac for over a decade now, but you buy a PC to play poker just like you would buy a toaster to toast bread.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:17 PM

Hi, I'm in the same boat, I am a Mac guy also. No, no one else supports Mac (actually I found 1 called Victorias Poker...but it was real hokey). You are pretty much screwed. I bought Virtual PC and an extra 512 memory and it is very slow. I cannot do more than 2 tables, and PokerTracker takes forever to load. I don't know what Mac you have. I have a G4 w/700MHz. Not to fast, but the guy at the local Apple Store told me the new G5 would be faster, but still sorta slow. If you don't care about multi-tabling or PokerTRacker or any of that jazz, then it will probably work for you. Otherwise, join the Dark Side and (gulp) buy a PC. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you buy a PC to play poker just like you would buy a toaster to toast bread.

[/ QUOTE ]