Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 04:25 PM

Default The Diesel is back, with some unbelievable news

Well, first let me apologize for my unannounced absence from the forum for almost two months now, and second let me apologize for not being able to finish my cruise trip report and post the pictures that so many of you were waiting for. However, I do have what I believe to be a good excuse.

A few months ago, my brother was showing a good friend of his my Vegas trip report on this very forum. His friend immediately suggested that I should write a book. As you would expect, I thought nothing of this, and continued on with my life as if nothing had happened.

Well, apparently his friend had become a frequent lurker here, and read the few days of the cruise trip report that I did post here. I guess that he had seen enough and printed out the Vegas trip report and the few days of the cruise report and took them to his friend that worked for a publisher who will remain unnamed until I have there permission to post it here.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the publisher got in contact with me, and after some period of discussion and negotiation, I have been contracted to write a book detailing my life experiences.

To this point, the book is unnamed, but it will focus greatly on the positive effect that poker has had on my life and all of my life experiences. I plan to keep the forum updated on the progress, which is currently planned to hit the presses in early 2007 if everything stays on schedule, and the editors don't think that it sucks.

Unfortunately one of the conditions of my contract is that I must refrain from posting, or for that matter, verbally telling, any of the information that may potentially end up in my book without the prior consent of the publishing company. I did, get them to agree that, in certain situations I can use this forum as a sort of test audience for some of my material, but they still have to review it first and agree to it. Therefore the cruise trip report will have to remain unfinished on the forum and only will get finished in the book.

Thank you all for the great comments that have been made on this forum in the past about my trip reports. I certainly recognize that everyone that posted in response to my reports had a great deal to do with this opportunity, and I thank you all for the support.

Rick Diesel
Old 08-27-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: The Diesel is back, with some unbelievable news

congratz, that sounds exiting. Why would a company want some random dude's life story tho? are you famous? are you a writer?
Old 08-27-2005, 04:31 PM

Can we have whiplash pics anyways?

Congrats btw.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:32 PM

Congratultions. I look forward to hearing the progress. Doesn't seem the pictures would be in the book, so maybe you can cough them up?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2005, 04:32 PM

That doesn't sound like you're precluded from posting pics of Whiplash, however...
Old 08-27-2005, 04:36 PM

sell-out...
Old 08-27-2005, 04:50 PM

I am not famous, and I am not a writer, which is why I had trouble even believing that this was happening at first. When discussing why they would want me, of all people, one of the publishers compared this to the reality TV boom. The popularity of reality TV shows has been through the roof, and they are looking for ways to expand the normal top selling books.

He explained it that the top selling fictional books were similar to the regular comedy and drama TV shows that had dominated, up until Survivor hit the scene and spawned all of these reality based TV shows. My publisher is looking for a way to expand the book business beyond fictional novels and self-help books, and thinks that this may be the new big thing.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not famous, and I am not a writer, which is why I had trouble even believing that this was happening at first. When discussing why they would want me, of all people, one of the publishers compared this to the reality TV boom. The popularity of reality TV shows has been through the roof, and they are looking for ways to expand the normal top selling books.

He explained it that the top selling fictional books were similar to the regular comedy and drama TV shows that had dominated, up until Survivor hit the scene and spawned all of these reality based TV shows. My publisher is looking for a way to expand the book business beyond fictional novels and self-help books, and thinks that this may be the new big thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

that makes sense. I wonder if the same people who watch reality TV also read books tho [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that makes sense. I wonder if the same people who watch reality TV also read books tho

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of doubt it. No offense to Diesel, and I wish him the best, but I can't see any demand for a book about an average Joe's poker career.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that makes sense. I wonder if the same people who watch reality TV also read books tho

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of doubt it. No offense to Diesel, and I wish him the best, but I can't see any demand for a book about an average Joe's poker career.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think the "reality" aspect of this book will make it sell. Its the poker aspect. if it gets distributed to major bookstores and is in the poker section im certain it will sell. People love moneymaker cause hes just some jerk who won millions at poker.