Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Need help designing my workout

my vote is swimming, swim for 45 minutes a day.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:25 PM

Had to be done. Sorry and have a great Vacation!
Old 03-29-2005, 05:27 PM

What's your current weightlifting routine? If you're looking for tone, not bulk, make sure that you're doing more reps in less time with less weight. 5 sets of 10-12 reps with less than a 45 second break between sets at whichever exercise you're doing is usually good for what you're trying to achieve.

If you're really looking for a great workout routine, check this out. It's a website dedicated to workout routines for marines, but has great guidelines for anyone trying to get in shape.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:29 PM

If you are more concerned about losing weight, I would only lift twice a week, with a "push day" and a "pull day." The push day would include things like bench press and dips, and the pull day would be things like pull-ups and bicep curls. Since you are doing tons of jogging, I don't think you really need to do legs. If you are really serious about losing weight, then suck it up and work out 6 days a week and use Fridays as your rest day. Here's something you could do:

Monday: Push day, then 20 minutes cardio
Tuesday: 1 hour cardio
Wednesday: 1 hour cardio
Thursday: Pull day, then 20 minutes cardio
Friday: rest
Saturday: 1 hour cardio
Sunday: 1 hour cardio

It also wouldn't hurt to change up the type of cardio you are doing; for instance, do some biking or swimming once a week so you don't hate doing it.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First thing, for optimal weight loss you want to lift before you do cardio. (From everything I have ever read)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about that? I thought that it was lift before cardio to maximize strength gain, cardio before lift to maximize weight loss?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I'm not sure now!

Building muscle though is what you really want because building muscle will increase your resting metabolism, burning more calories, which will tone you up....

(That was my logic)
Old 03-29-2005, 05:33 PM

i know you said that you wanted to focus on work out. but you should count calories really close and start out this week at around 2000 cals/day.
follow that for 1 week then reduce your daily intake by 200 cals. so now you are taking in 1800 cals/day for the next week.

do this up until your trip. of course by the time your trip comes around your going to be around 1200 cals/day, which is low. but stepping down like this allows you to lower your daily intake without having your body slow down its metabolism. if you drastically reduce your caloric intake, your body will slow down becuase it thinks you are starving.
i did this last year after bulking up for 3 months. i lost 25 lbs in 10 weeks without stepping on a piece of cardio equipment once.

heres the plan that i followed. my cals were never as low. but my nutrient ratios were approximately the same. discipline is key, but its the most efficient way.

http://www.ast-ss.com/jeffwillet/Roa...95&week=15
Old 03-29-2005, 06:16 PM

cardio is more effective when broken up into smaller sessions. IMO, I'd get up and take a walk or light jog each morning, boosting your metabolism for the day. Lift before cardio. 40 minutes of weight training is madness, up the reps and superset/lower your restign interval between sets. You should cut the lifitng time in half the days you do it and add 20 minutes of cardio.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:23 AM

Currently I was doing rotations, one set of bench, one set of lat pulldowns, one set of military press, one set of tricep pushdowns, one set of dumbell curls, one set of squats, and one set of calf raises.

I am doing 15 reps with a 30 second rest in between sets. I rest 2 minutes when I complete the cycle, and then start over again until I do 3 cycles.

My plan was basically to do this for the first three weeks to get over the initial soreness that comes with not having worked out in a while. I think that now I have my muscles conditioned to handle more, however I was not sure if I should change it up and what I should change it to.