Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Need help designing my workout

Okay, here's the situation:

Poker winnings have provided an opportunity for my wife and I to go on a cruise with a bunch of our friends from May 21-28. I definitely need to lose some weight and tone up before then. I have already switched my dieting habits to more frequent smaller meals based mostly around fish and chicken, so ignore the diet for purposes of this post.

I am looking for a good workout for the next 6-7 weeks to get myself in the best condition possible. I am 6'2" and at the start of my working out (2.5 weeks ago) I weighed 220 lbs. I would like to get to 205 lbs before the cruise. For the last 2.5 weeks and the rest of this week, i perform the following workout:

Mon, Wed, and Sat, 20 minutes on the treadmill at a hard pace followed by 40 minutes of weight lifting.

Tues and Thurs, 45 minutes on the treadmill at a slow jog.

How would you taylor my workouts over the next 6-7 weeks to maximize weight loss/tone up. Keep in mind that I am much more concerned with the weight loss/toning than adding muscle, and assume that I have one hour per day (except Fridays, no time on Fridays) to work out.

Thank you,
Rick Diesel
Old 03-29-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Need help designing my workout

First thing, for optimal weight loss you want to lift before you do cardio. (From everything I have ever read)
Old 03-29-2005, 05:17 PM

fold preflop
Old 03-29-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First thing, for optimal weight loss you want to lift before you do cardio. (From everything I have ever read)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about that? I thought that it was lift before cardio to maximize strength gain, cardio before lift to maximize weight loss?
Old 03-29-2005, 05:20 PM

Do you enjoy swimming? If so it's a good way to tone your body and lose weight. Other than that running is a damn good all around workout for what you want. Run for half an hour and lift for half an hour.

Good luck,

Swede
Old 03-29-2005, 05:20 PM

Please keep your poker related content out of OOT.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:22 PM

Really depends on what you want to change. Diet is the most important thing so you are headed in the right direction. Next thing if you just want to slim down I would do a ton of cardio, and a ton of cruches, etc. If you want to bulk, which will be hard in 6 weeks, you should start you routine off with free weights, focusing on the large muscle group, (ie chest,tris,shoulders,etc.), and finish with a quick, fast cardio session. Damn where is Sup Bro when you really need him?
Old 03-29-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that it was lift before cardio to maximize strength gain, cardio before lift to maximize weight loss?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that this is correct. By running before weightlifting, you're depleting your store of simple carbohydrates, which will cause you to burn fat while you weightlift.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the best way to maximize your cardio, is to do it first thing in the morning before eating. then having a small meal i.e. protein shake and fruit. then 1.5-2 hours after that eat your full breakfast. then eat small meals every three hours to keep your metabolism up the rest of the day.

with that said. there is no substitute for a solid diet. if you can control your diet sufficiently cardio is not as important. some of the top body builders (stan mcquay, dexter jackson) dont do any cardio before their contests. they shred down to 4% body fat on diet alone.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:24 PM

The seventh reply before a mention of Sup Bro? I had the over/under at 2.5 on this one.