Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Re: best rock album of the \'90s...?

I don't even think it's the best, but it's my favorite.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:45 AM

Sure, hard core techno punk. In 1997 with Radiohead's OK Computer, Fat of the Land hit like a bombshell. The first time you heard Firestarter it is impossible not to have said "WTF is that?". This postrave ultrapunk sound was incredibly original. Smack My Bitch Up - great adrenalizer, Shahin Bada's Indian guest vocalizations are amazing and the best video ever - first to be banned on MTV I think. Women's groups up in arms, and SMBU recently voted the most dangerous song to drive to, lol. With Breathe, Mindfields, and Fuel My Fire, Fat of The Land can actually be seen as a kind of compilation of singles collection to Brits but to North Americans it was an incredibly fresh new package. Firestarter, with its dirty techno sound, alone scared the crap out of UK parents and who the hell when they first saw this guy, below, didn't say, "Holy crap, that guy is [censored]!" Monster album, truly original, extra marks for controversy.

And btw, wut's wrong w/the gmail? Not working for uploads.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:54 AM

the gmail is effed? fuuuuu** ... can we ask bison?

as for prodigy, breathe is an excellent track. and his remix of method man's bring the pain is phenomenal.

however i could do w/o the funny looking guy and that other dude who pops up in the videos.

definately surprised to see that album mentioned thats all.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:59 AM

shee-it.

i wonder if our account was flagged for multiple IPs and only sending mail to itself?
Old 09-20-2005, 03:02 AM

Welp, I tried to upload a track and it ain't workin', might try later.

Keith Flint is the crazy dude, but he is just the front man for the Prodigy, doesn't do anything except dance around and scream some lyrics. Last years album, despite having the best title ever, Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned, really stank...I was so looking forward to it too. But, although FOTL is, of course, not the greatest album, (it is inconsistent), I honestly don't remember any other time I heard a song, Firestarter, Breathe, or SMBU, and went, "wait a minute, what the hell is THAT?!?"... Radiohead didn't do it.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm probably the only one who thinks ok computer is overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a ton of people who think this album is overrated. And by ton, I mean a shitload.

This is very understandable. However, this is not becaues it is actually overrated but because it is way way less accesible then it at first seems. I think 98% of people who think it is overrated have not listened to it enough or well enough. OK Computer is unquestionably the best rock album of the 90's.

Edit: emphasis on the "well enough" part. This is really crucial, this is an album you cant listen to on a plane or with a friend who you dont like (who loves it) etc. You really need the music to be clear and your mind free of bias etc.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's probably one of the big four, but just to open up the discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

King for a Day? really? depending on what your parameters for "rock" are, I can certainly see Ten, OK Computer, and several others posted as good candidates. I personally was going to recommend Angel Dust, and then I came across you posting this. You think this record is better than Angel Dust?

actually, come to think of it, Mr. Bungle's Calfornia is definitely one of my favorite albums of the 90's, but I don't know that it's a "rock" album per se.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:16 AM

A few unmentioned choices you fellow indie nerds might aprove of:

Silver Jews - American Water

Dismemberment Plan- Emergency And I

Yo La Tengo - I can hear the heart beating as one

Old 09-20-2005, 06:21 AM

It's Ten and it's not even close. Not only was it a great album that you can listen to front-to-back, with great singles and good mood songs...it also completely revolutionized rock vocals. All of a sudden, the talented, tormented baritone vocalist was not relegated to backing up a man who could sing 1st soprano...all of a sudden it was the alto male vocalists who were singing high harmony backup vox. With a few exceptions, it is still that way today. On substance, style, popularity, and musical influence...it's Ten...and it's not even close.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's probably one of the big four, but just to open up the discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

King for a Day? really? depending on what your parameters for "rock" are, I can certainly see Ten, OK Computer, and several others posted as good candidates. I personally was going to recommend Angel Dust, and then I came across you posting this. You think this record is better than Angel Dust?

actually, come to think of it, Mr. Bungle's Calfornia is definitely one of my favorite albums of the 90's, but I don't know that it's a "rock" album per se.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought angeldust was horribley overproduced at the time, King for a Day at the time I felt had 1 good song will have to listen to some of these albums again, The Real thing obviously was and 80's album but it was so fresh and different and was somthing te band never for me captured again.