Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Big stack, big draw, do I have to lay this down?

Stars $11 rebuy. Hero has 40,000 and is chip leader at the table. Average is about 14,000. Blinds are 200/400 with 50 ante. Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button. There are two limpers ahead. Hero calls. Both blinds come along.

The flop is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

The BB (with about 10K) bets out for 1,200. EP (with about 13K) cold calls. MP (with about 22K) raises it 5,200 more. Your play is?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Big stack, big draw, do I have to lay this down?

i dont know about post flop, but preflop i def like a raise here in position with what is likely to be best hand and cuz of my large stack

as for the flop, i think ill have to lay it down since my ace and queen outs are prolly not going to do anything for me, so all im hoping for is the hearts. so calling is def not an option IMO. i think its either push or fold here, and im folding cuz im not tryin to lose half my stack in what was a small pot at the flop and theres a stack in the hand playing aggressively who could damage my stack.

what do others think?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:19 AM

First of all, I'd raise this pre-flop. You'd like to narrow the field and you very likely have the best hand. You've got the big stack. Pwn the limpers.

Normally this would be a great flop for you. Two overs plus the nut flush draw would be even money against top pair or an overpair (other than AA). But with a bet and a raise I don't think it's safe to assume that you're even money any more. It's possible that you're up against a set, two pair (like 76), a straight draw, a flush draw, an overpair or a top pair. Lots of possibilities.

If we assume that the BB will fold (and I think that's likely although certainly not guaranteed), and put MP on a range that includes AA-44, 87, 76, A7, and KJh, we're a 55-45 dog. You're only option, IMO, is to push or fold. If you push, you're getting around 1.1 to 1 odds if he calls. I would have to imagine that pushing will get him to lay down some of those hands like 55, 87, A7, and KJh. But there are still quite a few hands that he would call with.

All told, I think this is a marginal situation to call. You still have the BB to worry about. Folding keeps you at a nice stack size. You're not really getting great odds.

So, I'd fold.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:33 AM

alright!
pretty much had the same thoughts as a respected poster. now i know im gettin somewhere.

THANK YOU HoH, vol. I&II. haha
Old 06-23-2005, 02:28 AM

I reckon it's fair to say at least one of them will be on a flush draw also, and so thats at least two less hearts in the deck, for you to draw out with. At least one will likely have trips, and so if the board pairs your in trouble as well...
Old 06-23-2005, 10:02 AM

Default Results

Well, I was actually the MP in the hand that I described, and held 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The big stack on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] min-raised it another 5,200. I pushed all-in, he called, and caught the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the river for the flush.

In retrospect, I had put the big stack on a flush draw or overpair, and knowing that I was ahead decided to try and double through. I probably should have just called his 5,200 raise, and then pushed on any non-heart turn, although with his two overs and flush draw he probably would have called me anyway.

Rick Diesel
Old 06-23-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Results

Having already read the results I could be biased - but as the (far and away) big stack at this table, I'm not calling the re-raise, if only because I know there's easier chip-building pots awaiting me deeper into the tourney with this stack. I'm not compromising my bullying ability on the bubble and beyond when the blinds become truly significant on any draw - barring a remarkable read.