Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Stars $150+12, barely in the $$, now what?

In last night's $150+12 on Stars, we are just in the money with 45 players left. 37-45 pays $244, 27-36 pays $326, real money is in the top 5 as usual, with first 15k and second 9k.

Blinds are 300/600 with 50 ante. I have 3,100 and am UTG+1. What hands should I push with here? I have A9 offsuit, is this an easy push?

Assume I fold and two hands later I am in the BB. I have 2,400 after posting. A solid player who has hardly played any hands at all raises to 2,400. It folds to me. I have KJ offsuit. Is this a automatic call, automatic fold, or read dependant?

Assume again that I fold. Blinds are up to 400/800 with 50 ante. I have 1,850 in the CO, and it is folded to me. I have K2 suited. The button and BB are shorter than me. The SB has about 7,000. No reads on these players. What is the play here?

Playing on a short stack is definitely one of the weaknesses in my game, and I would appreciate any comments that can help me improve on it.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Stars $150+12, barely in the $$, now what?

1) Personally, I push with A9 there. I hate getting down to less than 5 BB, beause then you really dont have enough chips to buy the blinds. I think you need to pick a spot, and this one is most likely it, especially because, if you fold, you could easily wind up with about 2 BB in about 2 minutes

2) with KJ in the small blind here, i think it really depends on how much u want to gamble. you are racing or have odds to get ur chips in against a lot of hands, like AT, 55-TT, and even AQ, as ur push would give u about 1.5:1. Again, i would push, but it depends. if this player is uber tight, a fold could be in order.

3) if u have this small of a stack, u r pushing any 2 cards if folds to u in the cutoff, it doesnt matter what they are
Old 05-03-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blinds are 300/600 with 50 ante. I have 3,100 and am UTG+1. What hands should I push with here? I have A9 offsuit, is this an easy push?

[/ QUOTE ]

i would push here. this is your last hand with FE. time to push and pray.

[ QUOTE ]
Assume I fold and two hands later I am in the BB. I have 2,400 after posting. A solid player who has hardly played any hands at all raises to 2,400. It folds to me. I have KJ offsuit. Is this a automatic call, automatic fold, or read dependant?

[/ QUOTE ]

1650 in dead money for a 2400 call? you need to be 3/8 to win to make this call. with no read i'd call, but against a very tight player, i'd fold, unless maybe he was on the button/CO.

[ QUOTE ]
Assume again that I fold. Blinds are up to 400/800 with 50 ante. I have 1,850 in the CO, and it is folded to me. I have K2 suited. The button and BB are shorter than me. The SB has about 7,000. No reads on these players. What is the play here?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i'd push. the BB will call with anything if he's not terrible, so you should have a nice chance to get the money in as a favorite (and of course it's great if he folds). it's certainly not good, but you're losing 3% of your stack every hand for the antes, and it'd be nice to double up and then leave yourself in late enough position that you can steal before the blinds hit again.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:45 PM

I push hand #1 and auto call #2. You just can't wait any longer or doubling up won't even matter.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:48 PM

Does anyone search the archives anymore?
Old 05-03-2005, 12:54 PM

i searched for "In last night's $150+12 on Stars, we are just in the money with 45 players left. 37-45 pays $244, 27-36 pays $326, real money is in the top 5 as usual, with first 15k and second 9k.

Playing on a short stack is definitely one of the weaknesses in my game, and I would appreciate any comments that can help me improve on it. "

but nothing came up.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Personally, I push with A9 there. I hate getting down to less than 5 BB, beause then you really dont have enough chips to buy the blinds. I think you need to pick a spot, and this one is most likely it, especially because, if you fold, you could easily wind up with about 2 BB in about 2 minutes

2) with KJ in the small blind here, i think it really depends on how much u want to gamble. you are racing or have odds to get ur chips in against a lot of hands, like AT, 55-TT, and even AQ, as ur push would give u about 1.5:1. Again, i would push, but it depends. if this player is uber tight, a fold could be in order.

3) if u have this small of a stack, u r pushing any 2 cards if folds to u in the cutoff, it doesnt matter what they are

[/ QUOTE ]

1) This was the hand that I really regretted afterwards. I knew that I should push, just somehow convinced myself a fold was okay. I was really pissed when it folded all the way around and the BB got a walk.

2) I think I am okay with the fold I made here. If it was anyone else at the table that raised, i would call quickly. However this player was by far the tightest at the table, and I thought the chances of being dominated were too high.

3) I did push here, finally. The SB called with 66, and although I flopped a flush draw and a 2, I couldnt connect on the turn and river.

I have been fine tuning my MTT game lately, which has led me to some situations that I have not seen very often in the past. Previously, I had been of the "build the huge stack early or else get knocked out" belief, due mostly to the fact that I feel that I play a big stack very well. Recently I have been mixing my game up more, and find myself in situations with a short stack that I have not been in very much.

Anyway, thanks to all for the opinions.