Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 05:13 PM

Default I keep getting disconnected from party. HELP!!

Hi. I just moved to cape cod for the summer and am living with my girlfriend in the finished basement of this woman's house. She has a wireless router setup on the 1st floor, and I have a wireless card in my PC. They are both the wireless-G by linksys, which is 35% faster than normal. But I keep getting disconnected from party.

My wireless connection is usually at "very good" and 125Mbps. I am still online when i get disconnected, so I am thinking that this might be a problem with the servers in this area... not many people live here year-round, and during the summer, populations go up by as much as 10 times. So, maybe the networks just cant handle all the traffic.

Basically, can someone tell me, with certainty, if the problem is with my computer and its wireless conenction or if the problem is with the network.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-24-2005, 07:00 PM

Location: Typing \"nice runner runner\" over and over and over and over and over and over
Default Re: I keep getting disconnected from party. HELP!!

[ QUOTE ]
Hi. I just moved to cape cod for the summer and am living with my girlfriend in the finished basement of this woman's house. She has a wireless router setup on the 1st floor, and I have a wireless card in my PC. They are both the wireless-G by linksys, which is 35% faster than normal. But I keep getting disconnected from party.

My wireless connection is usually at "very good" and 125Mbps. I am still online when i get disconnected, so I am thinking that this might be a problem with the servers in this area... not many people live here year-round, and during the summer, populations go up by as much as 10 times. So, maybe the networks just cant handle all the traffic.

Basically, can someone tell me, with certainty, if the problem is with my computer and its wireless conenction or if the problem is with the network.

Thanks!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, when I first started playing on Party I had a setup like:

dsl <-> dsl modem <-> wireless router <-> computer

I was not using the computer wirelessly when playing poker, though; I was plugged into one of the wireless router's ethernet jacks.

I was getting disconnected (not from the internet, but from Party itself) on a regular basis. I tried messing with the router settings, updating the firmware, even disabling all of the firewall / packet filtering crap, and nothing helped.

Then I tried just removing the wireless router (since I wasn't using wireless that often anyway) so it was hooked up like:

dsl <-> dsl modem <-> computer

The problems completely went away. Something the router was doing was causing the problem.

My advice would be to just hook your machine directly to the dsl modem (or cable modem or whatever) via ethernet and see if that fixes it.