Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Call with garbage?

Large MTT. Just gotten into the money but with about 200 left, the money available now is meaningless. With T6530 I have about half the avg stack and now have to post the BB which is T1000

UTG goes all in for T6760
UTG+1 goes all in for T7086
UTG+2 goes all in for T5290
Folded to me and I have T5530 left and 94o

I have to throw in another T500 next hand as the SB. There are stacks of T45k, T20k, T17k & T14k at the table plus the stack that wins this hand. I won't be scaring anyone much with an all in next round or 2.

These 3 all-ins figure to have big cards but I'm going to need huge help to win. Should I do it anyhow or wait?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Call with garbage?

wow, easiest fold in history? but what if you had JTs hmmmmm. It's an easy fold because your under 25% to win the hand and you put 25% of the money in. Get it? You need to have a slightly better hand than the average hand (in this hand) to win money. The dead money doesnt make up for it. Your goal is to get in a headsup pot so you have the best chance of staying alive.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:04 PM

Turbomuck, then push a lot of hands from LP.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's an easy fold because your under 25% to win the hand and you put 25% of the money in. Get it?

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is standard advice here I guess this is a forum to avoid. There are other factors to consider. What if I only had enough left to post the SB. Still fold? I'm still under 25%. Get it?

If I had 56s I call in a heartbeat even if I knew what the other 3 guys had (and they had AA, QQ & KK respectively) This is a great spot to get some chips. And if I'm gone, so what? I'm likely gone shortly anyhow.

fwiw I did fold the 94o, pushed a cpl times from late positions and stole some blinds but ultimately went bust a cpl. rounds later.

I think there are several hands to call with here, I was just wondering if anyone thought something as bad as 94 was worth it given the tournament situation.

Evidentally situations mean nothing here. You just want your equity.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:33 PM

hey sir. 56s is a LOT better in this spot than 94off. and what i said about the 25% is perfectly valid here, even though its not 25% exactly. You need a higher winning % to the % of chips you put in the pot, pretty basic concept. Sorry 25% is likely off by a lot but i do not feel like coming up with exact figures since i KNOW its not a good play.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:34 PM

I agree with the logic, your cards are likely live, but think about this: if you hit two pair or trips you also have to dodge 6 A, K, and Q by the river. You have zero chance for a flush and straights will all be four-carders. Give me suited connectors and I would consider, but you can find a better spot than this.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:35 PM

I don't think you get it. Fyodor.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's an easy fold because your under 25% to win the hand and you put 25% of the money in. Get it?

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is standard advice here I guess this is a forum to avoid. There are other factors to consider. What if I only had enough left to post the SB. Still fold? I'm still under 25%. Get it?

If I had 56s I call in a heartbeat even if I knew what the other 3 guys had (and they had AA, QQ & KK respectively) This is a great spot to get some chips. And if I'm gone, so what? I'm likely gone shortly anyhow.

fwiw I did fold the 94o, pushed a cpl times from late positions and stole some blinds but ultimately went bust a cpl. rounds later.

I think there are several hands to call with here, I was just wondering if anyone thought something as bad as 94 was worth it given the tournament situation.

Evidentally situations mean nothing here. You just want your equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Board:
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 56.7101 % 56.62% 00.09% { AA }
Hand 2: 17.9245 % 17.84% 00.09% { KK }
Hand 3: 15.0285 % 14.94% 00.09% { QQ }
Hand 4: 10.3370 % 10.25% 00.09% { 94o }

---

You did not want to be in this hand. Even if someone had AK or AQ, you wouldn't be much better off. Obviously if you only had the SB left you would call. Then again, if you only had the SB you'd be putting in 8.3% of the chips (500/(1500+1500+1500+500+1000) x 100%), not 20% or so. Also, if you only had 500 chips, you couldn't do anything else. You would have no fold equity.

BTW, 76s in this situation is 20% to win, better than KK or QQ, and twice as likely as 94o. That's a completely different hand. Don't say that situations mean nothing here. It's simply that we analyzed this situation and didn't think that it was a good one (and the math backs us up); we weren't talking about having half of a BB or holding SCs. With 5x the BB, this hand is not a do or die situation.

Will
Old 12-02-2005, 01:37 AM

This isn't even reasonably close to a call. I don't even think I'd call w/ 5-6s.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:48 AM

I turbo muck. i want a hand that can play well multiway to call. and with 4.5xBB you still have a full orbit to catch something decent. sure you're getting great odds on this hand but you also have to beat lots more people.

Playing around in two dimes, I also have trouble coming up with scenarios where you are EV positive even with the blind overlay

-g