Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Live Limit Hold\'em Pros

In my city if you have the roll for it, 20/40 on the weekends play as tough as party 1/2. No joking! The players cluelessly calling ace 8 off in any position and chasing against brick boards like birds. The game is easily beatable by a decent player....... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
More quick money in NLHE for sure but the swings can/will kill you

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the third of forth time this has come up in this thread. I've always thought the swings are worse in limit. I've read it, and I've instinctively thought it.

So, wtf?

The beats in NL are worse, sure. But the swings? That doesn't make sense to me.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:43 AM

I think some people may be pushing small (or even negative) edges in no limit. Definitely higher fluctuation that way. Make sense now? You just have a different risk/reward formula.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's something I thought about. How do grown people, with families and such, make a living at Mickey D's, low-level Macy's, Gamestops, etc.? Some are working two jobs, no doubt, but many are working one, and for not much more than minimum wage(no offense to any here). I think I'd much rather play poker for minimum wage/10 an hour than work some crappy job at the mall. So quality of living and the amount you earn is really all relative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Working at McDonald's is guaranteed income. Even if you're good, there's no guarantee you can clear $10/hr playing small stakes Hold 'em. There's no guarantee you won't get burned out before you start to turn a profit. And as far as "crappy" jobs, I think you'll find that playing 6-12 Hold 'em for 8 hours a day can turn into a pretty miserable job pretty fast.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think some people may be pushing small (or even negative) edges in no limit. Definitely higher fluctuation that way. Make sense now? You just have a different risk/reward formula.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming a NL player and limit player push the same edges, it would seem to me that the bigger bet size is more likely to induce folds thus preventing suckouts and decreasing variance.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, you could switch to no limit but hold on for the rollercoaster!

[/ QUOTE ]

A brilliant player can get a strong hand cracked, go on tilt...and lose his mind along with every single chip in front of him. This is why the World Series of Poker is decided over a No-Limit Hold 'Em table. Some people, pros even, won't play No-Limit. They can't handle the swings. But there are others, like Doyle Brunson, who consider No-Limit the only pure game left. Like Papa Wallenda said..."Life is on the wire. The rest is just waiting."

[/ QUOTE ]

i laughed.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming a NL player and limit player push the same edges, it would seem to me that the bigger bet size is more likely to induce folds thus preventing suckouts and decreasing variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing small edges also involves CALLING large overbets when you think you are in the lead. Maybe I am misusing the term "pushing" in your eyes. Maybe "playing small edges" makes more sense.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:41 PM

I don't see what calling large overbets has to do with varaince and swings.

Lets asssume the players play equally well at their respective games. All things being equal, calls, raises, etc, seems to me NL is less swingy.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lets asssume the players play equally well at their respective games. All things being equal, calls, raises, etc, seems to me NL is less swingy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, it also depends on the stakes and the type of game. Are we comparing a 1/2 NL capped buy-in game to a 3/6 limit game or to a 10/20 game?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, it also depends on the stakes and the type of game. Are we comparing a 1/2 NL capped buy-in game to a 3/6 limit game or to a 10/20 game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, we've hijacked this enough. I was being general. I don't care as much anymore.