Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 03:48 PM

Default I found some patterns, Now What?

As I've expressed, I've given PokerRoom a shot and have been running bad and encountering a new play type common to the room. I have been having trouble adapting since the players seem to want to always play back at anything that resembles a bluff. It's not as simple as "continuation bet less" because I have been. I know there is a similar thread, but I particularly want some mathematical/economic analysis of my proposed changes, and other suggestions too if people have any.

At PR $100 I have been playing tight and raising good hands, other people do this as well.

1. The average-bad player assumes that whenever a tight player raises they have 2 broadway cards both higher than a jack. I've noticed that my C-bets are either minraised or called when the flop comes Jack high or lower, but have over a 90% success rate when the flop comes Q high or better. This hasn't really been good, bc most of the times I actually have missed a J high flop, although I'd play an overpair exactly the same way.

So I was wondering what to do with this, seems like I have 4 options really, and none of them seem that good.

Option 1: Raise SC's and suited one gappers even with limpers from position if you've been playing tightly. You can then successfully C-bet when you miss if it becomes HU, and can get played back at when you hit what looks like a ragged board. Problem with this is that it will be expensive when you miss and are called, and often there will be more than one limper to the flop.

2. Don't change your starting range, but only C-bet when you have an overpair. You can expect to be played back at . Problem here is that you stand to fold several best hands when they bet the turn after you check behind a flop with AK for instance

3. With a solid read and marginal holding, 3 bet. The minimum raise with a non-scary board is mainly an "I don't believe you" tactic." It's only on a draw heavy board or a Q or higher one that you have to worry in most cases that they have a solid holding and are raising for value.

4th don't bluff, but semi-bluff so you price yourself into a call anyway. For instance, a 3/4 bet stands to get minraised in a 10 high board with 2 hearts and you have AKh, so if you bet $7 into a $10 pot he will minraise to 14, putting $31 in the pot and you have only $7 to call with at least one good over and a flush draw. You can then either C/R allin OOP on the turn if stacks warrant it, or come over the top on the turn if he pushes again (or checks) and you're in position. This requires intense concentration and reads tho.

There is another situation, where if the board is paired and you bet it, you stand to be minraised almost regardless (unless the pair is a A, K, or Q in which case most players will fold). There are many times when of course the answer would be "Don't bet without the goods." But what if an average player in LP raises and you decide to flat call with JJ in the blinds since its HU and the flop comes 779. You know if you bet you will be raised on principle. Your JJ may very well be good, but your hand can't stand giving a free card if it is good, you'll get raised if you bet, and if you C/R and are called you have built a pot OOP.

Thanks, hopefully you guys can help decide an optimal strategy against this.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: I found some patterns, Now What?

bump, nobody wants to take a crack at this? someone could surely ease up this learning curve for adapting and my bankroll would be very greatful