Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]

Then MP1 did the unthinkable. He flipped over Ace-Jack not-suited. I lost leaving me crippled.
I played at the table for another 90 minutes, and even after all that time, my read on MP1 didn't change. He was definately loose passive, and almost definately an internet qualifier. I am still in disbelief as to how he of all people could put in his entire stack with AJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not making yourself clear here. If he's definitley loose-passive, isn't that the kind of player you expect to call a big all-in raise? This seems especially true in situations where he's put some money into the pot first and then raised behind him.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Interesting Hand from WPT Aruba

[ QUOTE ]
My read is that he will be very hesitant to put his tournament on the line.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well obviously you were off on that...

People can be such idiots though, as MP1 was in this hand. What a dunkey [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 08:31 PM

This is what concerned me way back when. Also, while MP3 can't seriously consider overcalling, I think perhaps you are being a bit dismissive about the fact that after MP1 called MP3 didn't really put a lot of thought into the call. I am not convinced that if MP1 folds that you get past MP3 a very high % of the time.

You pretty much said it yourself though. Def not the worst play you'll ever make, but also prob better here to drop 150 and wait for a better spot.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:38 PM

I think your play is fine, given what your reads, but the question should be why did you decide he would not like to put his tournament life on the line. You describe him as a loose passive player, who probably got there by a satelitte. Those type of players are just happy to be there, and thus make those type of calls. Maybe since he was around 45 years old you figured he would tighter than a 25 year old player who played the same exact way.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My overall analysis of this play:
My read on how willing MP1 was to put his tournament life at stake was clearly off.
Given my reads however (that were otherwise correct), I think this play has a significant positive chip equity.
Despite that, there is just too much risk of me going broke during this hand, and I should have given up this edge to avoid missing out on bigger edges later on.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't understand this at all. i mean, i do, but not coming from you.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:49 PM

Moral: When you are playing against poor players who are capable of ridiculous plays, take that into account.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:03 PM

I've never played anywhere close to that big a tourney, but

If he has AJo then he is correct to call if the chances of you having AA-JJ, AK/AQ are pretty low. Given that you didn't raise the first chance you had, and that you took 20+ seconds to jam the second time around, i don't think it takes that much of a great read to make his call.

sure its hindsight, sure the other guy raised, sure he may not have been able to think like that, but.....just mho

-g
Old 09-29-2005, 11:22 PM

transparent.

suppose someone told weak middle-aged guy "your only chance is to take risk and gamble it up against people that can outplay you." which would be proper given his weakness.

i agree with strassa that the only legit hand you are holding here and repping is at best JJ, likely being a smaller pair. so this makes AJ a call given the overlay added by aggressive guy.

old man magee could have also been holding a hand like TT and figured you are some young twat donkey that only knows how to get it in there with AQ and hope for the best.

even under the conditions that ALL of your assumptions are correct i still do not care much for the play. compound that with the fact your analysis of the situation was off, and it makes it terrible.

sucks to go out like that, but get yourself some sun.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, sorry for all the anticipation.

The results I'm about to share absolutely flabbergasted me. SB instantly folded. MP1 thought for about 5-10 seconds and put his chips in w/ an expression on his face saying "I have to". MP3 asked for a count. I said I started the hand w/ 10,000 chips, but he wanted the dealer to count the chips anyway. The dealer counted out about 7800 in MP1's stack, and then MP3 mucked his cards before the dealer even counted my stack. IMHO, I don't think he ever was actually considering calling. I think he was just acting to make it look like he didn't ahve complete [censored].

Then MP1 did the unthinkable. He flipped over Ace-Jack not-suited. I lost leaving me crippled.

I played at the table for another 90 minutes, and even after all that time, my read on MP1 didn't change. He was definately loose passive, and almost definately an internet qualifier. I am still in disbelief as to how he of all people could put in his entire stack with AJo.

I know some people here are going to defend his call and say, "great read", but against my range of hands that I merely call the original 150 w/, AJo is even money (this range includes, any pair, any suited ace, AKo, AQo, suited connectors down to 54s, suited one gaps down to 64s, and a couple of unsuited broadway hands). If he's even money vs the range of hands I put in 150 chips with, his call for 8,000 more chips during 25/50 blinds is just abysmal.

My overall analysis of this play:
My read on how willing MP1 was to put his tournament life at stake was clearly off.
Given my reads however (that were otherwise correct), I think this play has a significant positive chip equity.
Despite that, there is just too much risk of me going broke during this hand, and I should have given up this edge to avoid missing out on bigger edges later on.
-Thanks for all the insight
-ZJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think it was a great play.
-James
Old 09-30-2005, 12:43 AM

chuddo,

dont give strassa credit for things i said.
[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]