Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 01:30 AM

Default Help me with two concepts

Hi -- playing 1/2 limit, 6MAX and 5MAX. Wondering about two things:

1. when you flop a monster (straight, flush, full house, or top set, let's say) do we want to cap the flop? Presume the pot was raised by the player sitting behind me, and I can expect him to bet. Should I call on the turn and hope to raise/3-bet/cap the turn, if I expect him to continue firing? Sklansky always emphasizes that the goal of poker is to win money, not pots -- won't I win more money by trying to put in more bets on the turn? Obviously, this means that a scare card can hit and that I might get drawn out, but remember, I'm trying to talk about hands on draw-less-ish boards.

2. In shorthanded play, typical Party loose fishy etc., presume a full, 6-handed table and I sit in the BB with AsKd. Everybody limps to me -- why do I raise? Is it to put more money in the pot? Or is it to try (though unlikely) to push the limpers out of the pot? Obviously I raise these hands in the BB no matter what, but I'm just having a bit of an issue with these loose callers. If I pick up AsAd in the big blind and the table limps, won't I just end up committing more players to the pot, making them more likely to continue calling, since the pot will be laying them large odds to call?

Please don't interpret this post as me saying that I don't raise these hands in the BB, or SB. I always do, as it's common poker knowledge and strategy. I just want to know, in these situations, why we consider it right.

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-10-2005, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Help me with two concepts

I'm not sure your first question is phrased very clearly. If the guy on your left 3bet, it's cause you check raised the flop. So in that case, you might get more bets by capping and lead/3betting the turn if he's aggro. If not, you might take the opportunity to go for a trifecta.*

*don't
Old 05-10-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Help me with two concepts

[ QUOTE ]

2. In shorthanded play, typical Party loose fishy etc., presume a full, 6-handed table and I sit in the BB with AsKd. Everybody limps to me -- why do I raise? Is it to put more money in the pot? Or is it to try (though unlikely) to push the limpers out of the pot? Obviously I raise these hands in the BB no matter what, but I'm just having a bit of an issue with these loose callers. If I pick up AsAd in the big blind and the table limps, won't I just end up committing more players to the pot, making them more likely to continue calling, since the pot will be laying them large odds to call?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are raising here because you have a large equity edge. You are only putting in X% of the money, but you will get more than X% back in the long run. It is true that your opponents may make less mistakes after the flop when the pot is larger, but the additional money you make preflop far outweighs this consideration.