FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Ayn Rand\'s Atlas Shrugged as a Movie

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was a philosophy major and I feel there is a reason she was barely discussed

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an economics major and the name Mises is utter heresy on school grounds. In fact, on my economics department floor, citing any reaction to statism other than praise is heresy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand that.

Yeah, there were a lot of philosophers that are proponents of capitalism that we didn't discuss. I think they just might not be considered "important" in the history of philosophy. But, there were some philosophy students who always asked why we spent so much time on Marx? They claimed we aren't a communist country so why should we read him. To study philosophy and not understand Marx, is like being a Christian and never reading the gospels. Marx, and Freud to some extent, is one of the most influential people of the late 19th and the entire 20th century. I am not a communist, nor do I agree with everything he said, but there haven't been any 20th century philosophers that haven't had to refute him at some point. My guess is that Ayn Rand is not very influential or important of an economic philosopher and should only be studied for what she is known for. I guess I can equate it to Bertrand Russell. Math and Logic are his strong points. But, when it comes to religion or politics, no serious student of philosophy is going to spend a lot of time studying him (even if they agree with his anarcho-syndicalist philosophy and atheism).

craig

</end rant>