Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Great analysis.... Further action......

[ QUOTE ]
Without a read that he's capable of this bluff, you're beat and you have to make a real tough laydown. More and more, I see players that won't lay down any pair in this situation. They put their opp on AK and stubbornly stay with that read. And sometimes they are right but usually they are beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking my limp, call on the flop, makes it look to the vilain, that I have a drawing hand, and not the hand I truely have.
The heavy action is on the flop, and wonder if I look like a flush draw to him. This would make him try to take me off the draw.

Or am I just thinking too much, which will end up getting me in more trouble in the long run?

Thanks for the responses so far?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think your actions scream monster. You smooth called in position which may mean monster preflop, but when he popped it up by smooth calling again it is pretty safe to assume that you don't have AA or KK unless you are trying to get real cute here early on which is probably a mistake. Then by re-raising on the flop when it is all low cards that is a pretty standard move when you have position on someone. Also you jeapordized alot of your stack here on your raise without pushing all in.

On the topic of level 2 and 3 analysis it is pretty difficult with no reads and the fact that you smooth called preflop with JJ from an MP2 raiser. The BB might be trying a squeeze play seeing lots of weakness. However, after him re-raising you on the flop I think it is safe to say that he's pretty strong. Whether it is a big PP or 2 overs with a flush draw. It is pretty obvious that you are going to call getting 5.5 to 1 on your money so re-raising here is futile to try and steal the pot. Finally, I think that the BB thinks you are very weak because of your 2 smooth calls preflop unless you got really lucky and caught a set with 77.

[/ QUOTE ]

By monster, I meant monster on the flop as you stated later potential 77 for set.
Very nice reasoning.
Thanks
Old 04-25-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Stars $650.00 Hand for Analysis

Maybe I'm being influenced by how the hand turned out but --

does anyone think reraising PF would have saved PT alot of trouble here? By popping it again to 400, if the BB again comes over the top of two PF raisers we can probably lay it down PF. I also like reraising here because of our position and ability to control the hand postflop.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:28 PM

I do this probably 60-40 here. (raising that is)
Old 04-25-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm being influenced by how the hand turned out but --

does anyone think reraising PF would have saved PT alot of trouble here? By popping it again to 400, if the BB again comes over the top of two PF raisers we can probably lay it down PF. I also like reraising here because of our position and ability to control the hand postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree Billy. I'm unsure whether or not the BB is undervaluing our hand at this point or he really has a big hand. By re-raising preflop we define our hand, take the lead in the betting, and whatever actions the BB takes from there will give us a whole lot more information about his hand.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone think reraising PF would have saved PT alot of trouble here? By popping it again to 400, ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you, from my earlier post:

[ QUOTE ]
PF in position, I reraise to the 400 with JJ.

I know most people don't consider JJ a reraising hand, but with only one open raiser in before you it is more of an isolation / future control bet. There is little chance of the blinds coming along (with two raisers in front of them) or repopping it unless they have true strength.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-25-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The heavy action is on the flop, and wonder if I look like a flush draw to him. This would make him try to take me off the draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't look like a flush draw to me. A flush draw would either call to pay the minimum for his draw or push all-in to try and take it down right there by trying to make villian fold.

P.S. What was your reasonong post flop in raising the amount that you did and not pushing all-in if you weren't going to consider folding to a re-raise?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:31 PM

I like the preflop play. With JJ in this spot you don't need to overextend yourself. When the BB raises it up it's probably best to take a look at the flop and go from there.

As for the flop the raise looks appropriate, though I'm also confused as to why you chose that amount vs pushing. When you get reraised... I think you'll be behind more often than not to QQ or KK.

It's going to cost you another ~1k to chase ~6k. I think it's hard to fold this one.

You sucked out, right? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Results

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter

CO (t3825)
PGA71 (t3680)
SB (t2200)
BB (t3005)
UTG (t4912)
UTG+1 (t3900)
MP1 (t1270)
MP2 (t8088)
MP3 (t2360)

Preflop: PGA71 is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, PGA71 calls t150, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t400</font>, MP2 folds, PGA71 calls t250.

Flop: (t975) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">PGA71 raises to t1450</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t2605</font>, PGA71 calls t1155.

Turn: (t6185) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t6185) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t6185

Vilain Took it down w/ QQ [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I am just not a believer.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: The Flop.....

preflop seems like a no brainer...maybe reraise the initial guy with a read, but with no reads a flat call is fine.

What are you trying to accomplish with the flop raise?