Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Pocket 9\'s heads up

This was against a tag who is a little more aggressive than your typical tag, but will lay down when it's clear he's behind. Please let me know what you think!

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 07-13-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Pocket 9\'s heads up

The flop is the most interesting street here. You've gotta call the turn bet with your OESD and there's just about zero hands that you could be beating on the river, so the fold is good.

It's hard for me to see any hands a TAG 3-bets pf that you think he might fold to your flop c/r (TT, AJs maybe?). It might depend on his read of you too (that is, if you've been raising a lot pf without getting called, etc). I like the aggression given your read of him, but I think this is a situation where I'd probably just fold on the flop.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was against a tag who is a little more aggressive than your typical tag, but will lay down when it's clear he's behind. Please let me know what you think!

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Is AG-TAG going to isolate you? Will he do it with 77? Will he do it with A9s?

If so, how do you feel about bet/3-bet on the flop? AG-TAG is probably going to autobet/autoraise the flop, and the check-raise looks more like a weak hand than it does a strong one (because you know he's going to autobet it).

If he's not going that low with his isolation raise, then I might check-fold the flop. You're drawing to two outs against everything reasonable except AK, and AK has ten outs against you.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:50 PM

Fold flop. What do you beat? What is his range of 3-betting hands PF? Usually here:

AA,AK,AQ,AJ,KK,KQ,QQ,JJ,TT,99

You only beat AK and chop 99. Fold. If you know he is an especially loose and has weak 3-betting standards than reevaluate. But you just said he was a TAG. You are behind.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is AG-TAG going to isolate you? Will he do it with 77? Will he do it with A9s?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen enough of his hands to be sure, but from what I've seen I think it's quite likely he's trying to isolate here with hands including those of this caliber.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold flop. What do you beat? What is his range of 3-betting hands PF? Usually here:

AA,AK,AQ,AJ,KK,KQ,QQ,JJ,TT,99

You only beat AK and chop 99. Fold. If you know he is an especially loose and has weak 3-betting standards than reevaluate. But you just said he was a TAG. You are behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is certainly likely that I'm behind, but the real question is against a thinking tag, what will he put me on after I check/raise the flop and which of these will he fold to a follow-up bet on the turn? I was thinking any pocket pair TT or lower or any ace that missed (maybe even AJ).
Old 07-13-2005, 02:32 PM

I liked the turn bet until I realized that any 3-betting hand he has beats you, even the formerly ui AK. Despite giving you the oesd, I think the turn card is one of the worst possible.

For that reason, I fold to the turn raise.

The flop check-raise is good. It puts some pressure on him when he may have whiffed, and puts you in a position to fire on the turn.

I've played at Absolute 1/2, and I will never go back. The players there are too tight, pay off too infrequently, and show down good hands too often. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'm surprised I actually show a small profit in my PT stats 2bb/100).
Old 07-13-2005, 02:33 PM

Does the hero really have to call the turn raise? He only has the sucker end of the straight, and I don't think his K outs are good. Even worse, the villain could already have the nuts.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:46 PM

Good point, since he loses to any A if the K shows up. Still, it looks like he's getting about 9.75:1 on that call and that should be enough to draw to just the 8.

I think you're right in your other post that the T was a bad card to see. Betting the turn looks pretty risky here but, given his read, Hero might have enough fold equity to give it a shot.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the hero really have to call the turn raise? He only has the sucker end of the straight, and I don't think his K outs are good. Even worse, the villain could already have the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right, the king outs certainly need to be discounted as they give a straight to any ace.

Actually I think I played this hand horribly with the exception of the preflop raise. This is about the worst possible flop and the turn is even worse as TT which might fold now has a set and AK which I was ahead of now has a straight. The more I think about it, the more I think check/folding on this flop is the best choice as weak as it seems!