Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Question about Preflop Recommendations in SSHE

Hi,

I've been reading "Small Stakes Hold'em" by Miller, Sklansky, and Malmuth, and I have two questions about how to use the Pre-Flop recommendations table presented on pages 80-83. I understand that the tables are only guidelines, and that correct play may vary from them under various circumstances. That said, I would like to understand and memorize the tables so that I'll have a reference against which I can evaluate and adjust my play. If you have the time to answer my questions I'd quite appreciate it. Here they are:

* In the tables, some of the recommendations are the same for raising and playing. For example, the recommendation for a tight game, early position, after a raise and a reraise is to play AA-QQ and AKs, and to raise these hands as well. I take this to mean raise if you can, and call otherwise?

* How should the tables be used if after my first call or raise, betting continues around the table and I must make a second (or third) betting decision? It is likely that some players have folded, thus changing my estimate of the number of players that might be present at the Flop, but at the same time there is probably more money in the pot, changing the pot odds. Furthermore, with players having folded my position around the table may have changed. Could you explain how I should evaluate my position, and whether I am in a no-raise, raise, or raise and re-reaise situation?

Thanks so much,

Bruno
Old 12-15-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Question about Preflop Recommendations in SSHE

AA-QQ, In general these are hands you will cap every time you are able, all tables all positons. They have a positive expected value and will win more than any other starting hands.

As far as using the loose/tight charts . . . rather than memorize both I would recommend choosing one and sticking with that to start. I chose the tight chart for myself since I intend to move up into high limits and I figure it best to train myself early. Sure I'll lose out on a bit of potential profit . . . I would focus on learning the game at this stage rather than maximizing profits.

In general, if you are willing to call, it is good to call if its one bet back to you. (just pretend you are in the double blind with one bet in on a reasonably good hand).

It may also be helpful to actually write out hand combinations as an exercise . . . highlight the hands worth calling, star the hands worth raising. . . I am a visual learner and this was immensely helpful! You can actually "see" the frequency of hands increasing in late position if you take the time to write out every hand that is listed. Have fun and be sure to post examples to further clarify. =)
Old 12-15-2005, 03:50 PM

You might find this thread useful.

In answer to your first question, raise.

As far as your second question, reread page 86-87 of SSHE. This explains it better than I can.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

* In the tables, some of the recommendations are the same for raising and playing. For example, the recommendation for a tight game, early position, after a raise and a reraise is to play AA-QQ and AKs, and to raise these hands as well. I take this to mean raise if you can, and call otherwise?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you are playing against low limit players it is usually ok to play any of these hands for four bets before the flop, regardless of how you got there. Once you start identifying who the tight players are preflop, then you can start to back off QQ and AKs in some spots. But for now, get those raises in there.

[ QUOTE ]

* How should the tables be used if after my first call or raise, betting continues around the table and I must make a second (or third) betting decision? It is likely that some players have folded, thus changing my estimate of the number of players that might be present at the Flop, but at the same time there is probably more money in the pot, changing the pot odds. Furthermore, with players having folded my position around the table may have changed. Could you explain how I should evaluate my position, and whether I am in a no-raise, raise, or raise and re-reaise situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once the hand starts, don't worry about which table you are using. Just look at the situation. If you've entered a pot, and its one bet back to you are going to want to call, because you are getting good odds, even if you know you have a worse hand. Becarefull about calling two bets back to you, though. Since a few people are likely to be involved in a pot, then playing easy to play speculative hands like pairs and suited connecters shouldn't be a problem. On the other hand, if you have a hand like AJos, then you should probably bail because there is a good shot you are dominated and it will be very difficult to play postflop.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:35 AM

Thanks, this is just what I was looking for.