Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 08:57 PM

Default Chess Openings

I started to get into chess a couple years ago but haven't played much since. Just lately have I regained a little interest in the subject. As white, I usually open with the queen's pawn, though eventually, I'd like to get better at a king's pawn opening. One of the main reasons I don't play E4 is because I don't like to see black use the Sicilian Defense, which is my main defense against E4. I like to play Indian defenses against E5.

I'm sure some of you play chess. What openings do you use?
Old 09-07-2004, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Chess Openings

I played 1.e4 almost exclusively, and took great pleasure in facing the sicilian. Its such a showdown opening that if you enter it, you know you'll probably have an exciting game. With black I dabbled in various sicilians as well, and against 1.d4 I often played the SemiSlav.

Basically, my goal in all openings was to obtain an unbalanced position that would give both players a chance to play and try to win.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:11 PM

I changed my openings as black every year while I was playing actively. As white, I always played 1 e4.

For somebody just starting the game, I reccomend Petroff's defense as black. 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6. It creates a structure for black in which he's able to actively develop both his knights and both his bishops. The ability to use all four of you minor pieces is good for learning the game.

However, most masters who teach would reccomend you defend via 1 e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6. Against 1 d4, they would reccomend 1...d5.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:28 PM

I always played E4 because I prefer a less open game, which is what you usually get with D4. I always liked the Roy Lopez if black pushes to E5.

Dang French defense always game me fits though as I hated defending the backwards pawn you often get on D4.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always played E4 because I prefer a less open game, which is what you usually get with D4.

[/ QUOTE ]

You stated this backwards. An "open game" by definition is one that has a king center on each side formed by 1. E4 E5. These openings revolve around the direct attack and defense of these pawns since they are initally unguarded. A "close game" is one that has a queen center such as formed by 1.D4 D5. Since the pawns are guarded, their capture is no longer an immediate issue, so instead these openings feature more subtle positional maneuvering to attack, defend, and control weak squares. If black makes any other response to 1. E4 besides 1...E5, as in the Sicilian Defence (...1. C5), the game is called "half open". In these games black attemps to form a queen center against white's king center.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:29 PM

I could be wrong since it has been many many years since I played seriously. However, my understanding is that D4 brings the Queens into the action earlier and thus leading to a more attacking and tactical game.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:30 PM

Bruce is right. e4 openings are usually open games, d4 openings are closed games (usually).
Old 09-16-2004, 05:43 PM

This book has a nice explanation of the classifications of openings. The author says that the open and close games have virtually nothing in common. This is because the queen center is so much more stable than the king center, especially when the queen center is made with 3 pawns.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:13 PM

Znosko-Borovsky also authored a delightful book (well, delightful as chess books go, I suppose) titled How Not To Play Chess. It's been many years since I read it but it still stands out in my mind.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:41 PM

Just one thing... I said I like to play Indian defenses against E5... that makes no sense. I meant against 1. D4 which some of you probably realized.