Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 02:34 AM

Default An important post on the subject of minraises.

5/10 6 max....villain didnt seem remarkable. Oh and whats wrong w/ the hand converter?

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>. Basically 1 limper, vilian makes it 25, SB calls, I call, and limper calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, Raiser bets 40, Button folds, SB folds. I call, UTG calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
I bet 250, UTG folds, villain runs his clock all the way down before making it 500, i think for a long time and move in Hero calls 946.75 (All-In). Villain thinks for a long time, clock at 1 and calls.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot:

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 8c Th (two pair, tens and eights).
MP has Kc Ac (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins . </font>

Fairly unremarkable other than the huge donation. Just trying to do my part in relieving some of the weak tight tendencies of this forum. But it wasnt a set....and it wasnt a pure bluff. Im just tired of people saying all minraises are AA or a set. There are certain times where a minraise makes sense based on the size of the pot and the size of the stacks and your position. This of course wasnt really one of those.

-JP
Old 09-11-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Re: An important post on the subject of minraises.

How do you put your self in a position to give us an advice on proper use of difficult minraises after butchering up the hand this bad and getting paid off by a donk?
Old 09-11-2005, 02:45 AM

Your line is bizarre. Care to explain why you played it like that?
Old 09-11-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]no really, just a stopNgo... i think he played it well...
to the OP, saying that you put all your money in on a board and in a situation where top two is the near nuts is not relieving weak/tight tendencies... COME ON! get you money with 77 and drag on that board and youll show us something... everyone would be thrilled to get that stack in with 8T on this board.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Fairly unremarkable other than the huge donation.

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I just quoted myself. The main point of the post was just to show a hand where a sizeable minraise did not mean the nuts. With the opponents small raise preflop, it is very possible for him to have something like 33/88/TT there. Its also possible for him to have some kind of combo pair/flush/straight draw.

I like my line. The only debatable thing to me here is the preflop call. On the flop the pot is small and an overpair has 5 outs so a call is ok. That turn was a perfect blank but it will get checked through so often and the pot is a decent size so I have to bet especially w/ my opponents having a bunch of combined outs now (8 for the overpair, 9 for a flush draw or 8 for 9J). A bet is also good because it looks like a scared TJ or AT or whatever to bad players.

-JP
Old 09-11-2005, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See my above post, but really stop thinking so linearly.

-JP
Old 09-11-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]no really, just a stopNgo... i think he played it well...
to the OP, saying that you put all your money in on a board and in a situation where top two is the near nuts is not relieving weak/tight tendencies... COME ON! get you money with 77 and drag on that board and youll show us something... everyone would be thrilled to get that stack in with 8T on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill do some more searching through HH to find more minraises in decent pots and get back to you tomorrow. This hand just really stuck out in my mind b/c it was so redonkadonk.

-JP
Old 09-11-2005, 03:54 AM

I will do that call flop / lead turn thing as a bluff to see if overcards will lay down so doing it with top 2 is a good line which looks like a bluff... it's goofy-confusing too... a flush draw will be hard pressed to bluff here with only 1 to come... Set combinations are low since you hold top 2... get by UTG and you are clear...
Old 09-11-2005, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]no really, just a stopNgo...

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the go, but I don't see any stopping. Your line is most definately bizarre. You merely called a fairly draw heavy board... [/drunk]
Old 09-11-2005, 04:42 AM

The mini raise post has zero to do with tight players running from mini raises.

Usual scenarios are:

1. Raise in EP with AK, 3 calls. Board is K 9 5; Bet, call, fold, mini raise...

2. Raise in EP with AK, two calls. Board is K 9 5. Bet, call, fold. Turn is blank. Bet, mini-raise.

These aren't, flop top two against donk, think I understand poker.