Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Opening the game up.....

I think the main reason you're getting spanked is because you don't play well postflop. Playing tight makes for easier postflop decisions. You generally don't have to deal with middle pairs, gutshots w/ overcard, and TPGK decisions that often.

I'd start with opening up my starting hands more in LP. Playing OOP would be next.

Someone said don't multitable while you're adapting, I agree with that.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

e.g # 1 I have A7o in the SB and 3 guys limp to me. In the past, I folded this but now I'm calling

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll play something like A7o against a steal sometimes, but I avoid hands like this like the plague in a multi-way pot. Way too much chance of being dominated, and you'll be out of position the rest of the hand. I know it's only half a SB, but you'll make an expensive 2nd-best hand a lot of the time.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

e.g # 1 I have A7o in the SB and 3 guys limp to me. In the past, I folded this but now I'm calling

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll play something like A7o against a steal sometimes, but I avoid hands like this like the plague in a multi-way pot. Way too much chance of being dominated, and you'll be out of position the rest of the hand. I know it's only half a SB, but you'll make an expensive 2nd-best hand a lot of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Against a few bad players who limped you're getting good odds for 1/2SB to call and flop a flush draw, straight draw, 2-pair or trips.

Part of adding these hands/skills to your toolbox is getting in the pot and playing some of these hands. Figure out when you pair your Ace and it's not good. Learn how to flop a second best hand and not let it get expensive. Learn to recognize that sometimes this is an easy call and sometimes an easy fold - depending on who the limpers are and/or how the BB plays.

Most of adding hands to your arsenal is accomplished in thinking about poker away from the table. If you don't have some pre-conceived game plans about how to play these marginal hands in a variety of situations you're really asking for trouble. While I mentioned earlier that you just need to get in the pot and mix it up, we also must note that unless we've spent time thinking about these situations, our decisions "under-fire" are much more susecptible to fallacy.

Go into your next session having with some preparation on specific hands or situations where you might do something different than normal. It's just like the scientific method. Keep trying out new things and reevaluting them as you progress to see what works and what doesn't. It should be a never ending process.

Good Luck
Old 12-07-2005, 08:18 PM

I found dropping a level and playing 6-max really helped up my aggression level (maybe too much). Learning to play marginal hands in the right position with good player reads opened up a whole world for me. Doing that and then re-reading (again) SSHE has improved my game 5-fold. I'm no pro, far from it but this was what helped me move away from the 15/3 game I was stuck at for so very long.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found dropping a level and playing 6-max really helped up my aggression level (maybe too much). Learning to play marginal hands in the right position with good player reads opened up a whole world for me. Doing that and then re-reading (again) SSHE has improved my game 5-fold. I'm no pro, far from it but this was what helped me move away from the 15/3 game I was stuck at for so very long.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really good advice, I think.

Welcome to the forum. Nice first post.