Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-30-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: More money to be made in MTT than SNG\'s?

[ QUOTE ]
Just from the two im up $4k (nearly) and risked $28.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, really? i know someone that from just one (just one!) tournament is up $135k and only risked $215! man what a profit!!
Old 12-30-2005, 03:01 AM

Actually before I become a memeber I have two nubish questions that still need to be answered.

1. Is it possible to be successful at STT's and MTT's and still not be a successful ring game player?

2. What is pwned!!!??
Old 12-30-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Is it possible to be successful at STT's and MTT's and still not be a successful ring game player?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, a lot of online STT/MTT players from what ive seen dont know what to do once their stack has 200+ BBs
Old 12-30-2005, 03:03 AM

Ive played a couple of those tourneys as gifts to myself. There is def. a lot less dead money. I quit bc they are too hard for me to bankroll. I can comfortably play 30+3 and less and feel that with some more work could really start making some money. But Im about to start tracking my buy ins for both right now starting with 5 $11 SNGs before bed.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:56 AM

Aside from variance I think the MTT vs SNG question is a question about hourly rate (SNGs) vs. ROI (MTT). If you can only play 1 table at a time, MTTs are probably the way to go.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:15 AM

"Im fairly new to MTT's and STG's. I must say that from a POKER perspective MTT's is the way to go. I have played maybe 20-30 MTT this month have finished in the money about half the time, give or take and have had two final tables. One that I won $6/196 players and a fourth place $22/2448 players."

Small sample size. Congrats on the money. Hopefully you know that keeping this rate up really isn't possible.

"I feel that there is definatly more money to be made, particularly compared to the buy-in in the MTT's. Just from the two im up $4k (nearly) and risked $28. For the others I finished about even."

Most single table tournaments only offer up to a 400% ROI for the top prize, where MTT offer much much more. (stating the obvious I know)

"If you are willing to play the already mentioned post flop poker the players really are weak up untill the last 5% or so and at that point youve made some good money. You will definately see money less often with the MTT. For now I am just trying to stay away from the cash games and keep learning to succeed at both."

The attraction of STT (espeically the low level tournaments) is the horrible players and the ease of money from a good push strategy. This mindless way of playing allows players to play 10+ tables at a time. A nice 10% roi, on a $22 gets you $2.20 a tournament, playing 10 at a time gets you around $20-$25 an hour at 10% roi. A good player can get the number of tables higher as well as the ROI higher. The variance is smaller (ITM, 35-40% of the time) and the required bankroll is smaller as well.

From my experience, I would suggest picking either STT or MTT and focus on one.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:18 AM

Funny there are all these SNG v MTT threads last few days. I've recently decided to go full-time MTT, not necessarily for overall profit potential but because the grind of SNG's was getting to me a bit, MTT's are very stimulating and make you have to think and study a great deal more.

I'd not reccomend them for anybody with a weak stomach, low tolerance for variance or a short bankroll.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:14 AM

I think it's important to note that you don't have to play amazing post flop poker to be successful at MTTs, at least not at 30s and below. It would of course reduce variance a lot, but simply being patient and disciplined throughout an MTT (which can be very tough) can be very profitable long term.

zip
Old 12-30-2005, 10:45 AM

Well...at least to me... MTT's can be VERY profitable. Bigger return on the investment, but more time invested as well. ( Like someone said though it might even out time wise ).

I am by NO means a pro. But even I have managed to win 2 MTT's in the last year ( @ $10k ) plus 3 final tables and by my stat book over 30 finishes in the money.

I only started keeping track in Nov of 04, but since then I've made a bit over $11k on MTT's. This is over and above all buy in's / entry fee's. This is just MTT's.

So like I said I'm no pro.

But I've played in 5 in the last month...working on REALLY playing the ONE tourney and taking plenty of notes on the players...I've moneyed 4 of 5.

I like a SUPER tight / aggressive style until after the first break. Then I'll add maybe 5 hands to my start list until the 2nd break.

Seems like if I wait on STRONG hands, and stop limping in with crap like KJ, or KTs etc... I don't have to question in my mind ( most times ) if I have the best hand or not. And the strong hands will still get paid.

The time to get AGGRESSIVE ( if you have the chips or if you need 'em ) is when the bubble is approaching...especially when it goes hand to hand play. Pick on the short stacks and the medium stacks. They don't want to fight, they just want to money...

Once the bubble ends. TIGHTEN BACK UP and wait on monsters. Because all the short to medium stacks figure they are in the money now, they have nothing to lose, and they see the blinds getting bigger so they will be going in hard looking to double up. When the small stacks start to fade...then you can settle and find the tight / passive players ( steal blinds ) and the loose cannons... ( who will pay you big on your good hands ).

The variance is this.

In EVERY tourney, live or online, that I've won or done well in... my tourney life ( or close to it ) has come down to a coin flip AT LEAST 4-5 times. If this is not, you're lucky and probably getting good cards.

HTH
Old 12-30-2005, 11:24 AM

I would love to play more MTTs, but I just don't have the time.

There are now some multi-table SNGs being offered on pokerroom.com (where I play cuz its Mac compatible) - but the payouts are more concentrated. A 2 table SNG pays the top 4, a 3 table SNG pays the top 5 - so if you finish ITM, you get a pretty good payout, but its harder to finish ITM.