Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-28-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Post deleted by Cola

Old 12-28-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Getting frustrated with the money I make

Hi, wanted to clear up that I live in the UK. I 6 table and don't use pokertracker or any other software. I'd prefer to grind out a living at online poker than work in the factory that I used to work in. But I have ambition, that's why I read and post on 2+2. Cheers.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:34 PM

NP.

Moving up on the poker food chain can be done but it's not easy for most. Often what you get out of poker is what you put into it.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess we must live very different lives. I wouldnt get out of bed for $50k a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The second post I read in a week has this s*** in it? Careful throwing stones like that in that glass house of yours.

To the OP: The great thing about a "real" job is absolutely zero variance. You get your check no matter what as long as you still have the job. There are plenty of part-time jobs that should cover your most basic expenses and leave you with enough time to play. I had a writer living in my basement for a while who worked in a chocolate shop part-time to pay the rent and then wrote the rest of the time. If you did the same thing with poker, you'd find yourself faced with the choice of going out tonight or playing poker for bankroll money, not going out tonight or playing poker for rent money. Once you see how much more you can make at the higher levels, it will seem totally worth it to sacrifice a few recreational nights for future implied fun, so your motivation will go up. More fun all around. Point being, get a crappy job to cover rent while you build a bankroll for the higher levels.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a crappy job to cover rent while you build a bankroll for the higher levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Living the dream [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously though, get a job where you can play at work. Best of both worlds.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:44 PM

Considering you arent paying tax, you should be making a fairly good clip that you can move up. If not then you have essentially 3 options:

1, play more hours/tables/both
2, cut down on overheads
3, borrow to expand (including backing)

This is all basic business theory, you either cut overheads, or grow, be it organically or inorganically. Look at your play from the point of view of being a small company. The choices you make are essentially the same.

And just like businesses, most pro poker players go bust in their first year of opperation.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:49 PM

I'm pretty sure he's not joking. The utility on a $3k MTT score is worth the risk. Think of utility this way. Say the lottery pays $1000 on a $1 ticket. The probability of winning is 1/2000. Pretty bad bet normally, but let's say some guy's coming to break your legs unless you pay him $1000. You have no other way of getting $1000 other than playing the lottery. Obviously, you want to play because winning lets you not get your legs broken, whereas losing doesn't really change anything and you could care less about the dollar you lost. For the OP, a win means a jump in levels (and a quantifiable increase in money earned) and a loss won't break his bankroll, so even if he's a breakeven MTT player, playing them is a good idea.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously though, get a job where you can play at work. Best of both worlds.

[/ QUOTE ]

That'll do well until your on the bubble at 4 tables and the boss tells you he needs you in the file room to help him find a file. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess we must live very different lives. I wouldnt get out of bed for $50k a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

... but you would, however, get out of bed to make insulting comments like this? And to think this is only 5 days after you registered, can't wait for the support, advice and words of wisdom forthcoming.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
future implied fun

[/ QUOTE ]
My nomination for awesome new term of the year.

[ QUOTE ]
get a job where you can play at work

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I had a job where I a) worked at home full time b) got 27 days of "TOP" time a year c) had badass bennies d) made right at 6-figures and e) did almost nothing but watch Star Trek all day. They were perfectly happy with me as long as I kept the apps I had helped create running. I quit that job, to drive 45 min. each way and sit in an office all day, because I was bored and my career was going nowhere. I wound up with a much much more boring job for slightly more $$, that is doing even less for my career. I want to hang myself every morning when I get up to drive to work.

This was in June, about 2 months before I discovered poker. I probably could have played poker and gotten paid for it for 1-2 years, and taken all the time off I wanted to go to tournaments, etc.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]