Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: A move I make more often than not. Leak, or standard play?

I think this is fine as long as BB is not super super loose.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think image and read are the important issue here. I think the important issue is when the blinds go up to 100/200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently this advice is now osbolete
Old 06-17-2005, 01:51 PM

The BB in this hand (Saden) is a sometimes regular poster on this forum (Benholio) who was probably 8 tabling at the time. Given that info, I would have probably pushed into him without hesitation. I think a good player is more likely to fold here than take a stand with a crap hand. Against an unknown, I probably push here and pray.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The BB in this hand (Saden) is a sometimes regular poster on this forum (Benholio) who was probably 8 tabling at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome. (He thought for a minute and then called with 77, btw.)

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 02:23 PM

I just made the same move on a 22. Blinds 50-100

I had t800 after posting, BB had t840. I pushed with 8Ts (the greatest suckout hand ever).

BB calls with Q9o, wins the hand and says "don't try that crap on me." It was my first push of the tournament.

I think all this talk about play tightening up is way off. I've been noticing for weeks that guys are calling (especially SB open pushes into BB) with all kinds of stuff. I think when pushed into from the SB, alot of these BBs view it as an attack on their manhood or something...
Old 06-17-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think all this talk about play tightening up is way off. I've been noticing for weeks that guys are calling (especially SB open pushes into BB) with all kinds of stuff. I think when pushed into from the SB, alot of these BBs view it as an attack on their manhood or something...

[/ QUOTE ]

Something I have not seen discussed- Doesn't this really throw a wrench in the "any 2 will do" mantra?

I mean, "push with any 2, and get called by any 2" doesn't seem to be ideal to me.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:47 PM

I probably would have folded in his spot. I think this is a leak in my game though. I'm much too willing to pass on coinflips with a medium stack with the idea that I can just pickup blinds later.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:53 PM

Im pushing this because the the stage is set to do so
Foe is tight, blinds are coming around, and his stack is small in relation to yours and the table average. He is most likely not going to have a good calling hand and most likely going to fold.

I wouldnt push, however, if i had done so in the past 3 or 4 hands without showing a serious hand.

I think the generalizations about the 10's calling with anything is silly. Every hand is different and I've run into some tight players.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:55 PM

I'm not going to let it slow me down unless my results start to suffer. So far, I realize that my sample size (the past few weeks) is relatively small.

But I agree with whoever wrote that the calling standards for BBs when pushed from the SB is not even close to what it would be if they are faced with a button push.

I am close to thinking that the "push any two" thing is better from the button than from the SB because of this phenomenon. The looser standards might even more than make up for the fact that you are up against only one player instead of two. Maybe I'm taking that too far, but from what I've seen, BBs are calling SB pushes WAY more than a few months ago.

I wonder if anyone else feels this way?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But I agree with whoever wrote that the calling standards for BBs when pushed from the SB is not even close to what it would be if they are faced with a button push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so I understand what you are saying here... Do you mean that a push from the button is more likely to make the BB fold? IE- It looks less like a steal than a push from the SB?