Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

View Poll Results: Call, raise, or fold?
call 2 4.44%
raise 4 8.89%
fold 39 86.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Party Steps

Which do you play? Mini Steps, Steps, or Higher Steps? Which is more profitable and Why? and which level do you normally buy in at?

Any success stories? I personally have bought in to the mini steps 1 for $6 and made it to Step 4 placing 3rd 3 times!! closest i came to making it through to 5 was my 66 all in with AQo and villian hit his Q on the river. I'm currently pegged back to Step 1 again.

I mainly play these for fun. Should they be taken more seriously?
Old 06-15-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Party Steps

I have had a lot of success in these - have to say I prefer to buy in at the second level, but I cheaped out in the higher steps and bought in at level 1. I have won a wsop package starting out with level 2 entries (about 10), a regular step $4500 level 5 win from level 2 on my second entry, and a $15000 second in higher steps starting with my first $33 entry from step 1. Guess I should buy a lottery ticket as well and there are tunder storms in the city today so I better take cover.
Haven't posted much here, but I would like to thank all contributors for their valuable contributions.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:10 PM

I don't think they are worth playing seriously unless you can buy into them at the top (or close to it).

If you are serious about your game then you likely run into one of 2 problems.

a) buying in at the lower levels is a waste of time.

b) you are a dog when you finally get to the money round.

You can be a very good low/mid SNG player, but you are still usually going to be a dog if and when you get to the top. So its just not a good deal if you are serious about the money. If you don't think you will be a dog, then you start to fall into the first category. The fact that some of the prizes are "freerolls" into smaller steps just makes it that much less appealing to buy-in anywhere other than Step 1 or Step 5.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:17 PM

I've had some success at the mini-steps (one third place mini 5 cash with about 5 buy-ins). I buy in at step 2. I guess I'd say I do them mostly for fun. One buy in usually lasts a long time (maybe 10 games on average). Although the bouncing up and down can get annoying. I also enjoy the opportunity to be completely aggro when you're down to say 5 players and 2 move on with 3 getting at least a rebuy.

Oh yeah, it's nice to see the difference in skill at the different levels. Step 2 and 3 are pretty much like any $20 SNG I normally play. Step 4's are a little tighter and the Step 5's are quite tough. The one where I cashed I was completely pwn3d on a BB hand, but managed to hang on to make some dough.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:19 PM

Hi Nottom,
I guess there could be a third category
3) you are somewhat risk averse, but don't feel that you are particularly outclassed in the higher levels.
In my case for instance, I have very little inclination in general to move up to a higher level regardless of BR - I am happy to be very successfull at the lower level.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:35 PM

First time I played the steps I won 4 straight in one night to win an entry to a regular step 5. I waited and couldn't get a step 5 started so I played it the next night. I waited for an hour and finally got a game in. Finished 5th and it paid top 4. I was pissed because I spent all that time and didn't win anything. I haven't played since. Maybe it was a fluke that I won 4 straight step tournies.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Nottom,
I guess there could be a third category
3) you are somewhat risk averse, but don't feel that you are particularly outclassed in the higher levels.
In my case for instance, I have very little inclination in general to move up to a higher level regardless of BR - I am happy to be very successfull at the lower level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose, although I would lump most of these people in with the "I just play for fun" folks.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:35 PM

I think the only way to take them seriously is if you can buy into step4 or step5. That would require a HUGE bankroll however so it doesn't seem pratical to most players.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First time I played the steps I won 4 straight in one night to win an entry to a regular step 5. I waited and couldn't get a step 5 started so I played it the next night. I waited for an hour and finally got a game in. Finished 5th and it paid top 4. I was pissed because I spent all that time and didn't win anything. I haven't played since. Maybe it was a fluke that I won 4 straight step tournies.

[/ QUOTE ]
heh, i got to step 5 the first time i played the 2 tables (before 1 tables were availaable) and didnt cash also.. then I got to step 5 on the 1 tables when firt introduced and didnt cash, I feel your pain. lol.

Ive been playing ministeps past few days.. just to clear freerolls first then trying.. gawd step 2-4 they are freaking rocks, you have to adjust your game a bunch.. im getting 9 people going' to 100/200 blinds at ministep 3 frequently, and i see people making laydowns that just wouldnt be made even at the 100/9s..

i keep getting stuck at ministep 4 tho [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] so i think i am prollyw asting my time (although not much money lol - even tho im buying into ministep 2s.. the 1s are a complete waste of time)
Old 06-15-2005, 08:52 PM

I recently opened a party account so that I can play around in some of the steps. I am playing them mostly for fun and don't think that they are as good of an investment as playing $50 SnGs for me. One advantage though is that I would really like to play some of the higher tournaments against better players. Multitabeling has a tendency to conform your mind and play ABC poker which is a bad habit to get into.