Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2004, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Football Futures

Cards are going to be really strong this year. They have a sick WR corp. Easily these 3 are hall of famers if they continue to improve/realize their potential. Stallworth and Swann look out.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:05 PM

I like:

Texans 6 1/2 over -110
Vikings 8 1/2 over -170
Dolphins 8 under -135
Old 08-08-2004, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cards are going to be really strong this year. They have a sick WR corp. Easily these 3 are hall of famers if they continue to improve/realize their potential. Stallworth and Swann look out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bryant Johnson = Hall of Fame?
Old 08-09-2004, 05:54 PM

Not a big sports bettor, but a pretty big sports. On first impressions, I think:

Texans win total Over 6½ @ -110
Browns win total Over 7½ @ +110
Seahawks win total Under 8½ @ +150

Look like interesting bets. None of these are locks, but I think they all have potential.

Probably some hometown bias here, but the Texans played lost some real close heartbreaker games last season against the upper echelon of the league, and had what turned out to be the hardest schedule in the league. They had injury problems as well. This year they improved their defense, didn't lose any key players and their young guys have an extra year. I think 7 wins is very likely.

Browns I'm the least sure about, and have the least justification for, but things in the NFL have been very rags to riches lately, and though I haven't studied them very much there aren't any huge red flags there, 8 wins doesn't seem unreasonable.

To me, the Seahawks tend to under perform to their talent. Coming off a playoff year, but as someone who's seen great things the past few years and been disappointed, I think it's possible they end up mediocre, weirder things have happened. It's the +150 that makes it interesting though.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:19 PM

The Ravens will win over 9. They're in a very weak division, and they have some weak non-divisional opponents on their schedule (Miami, NY Giants, and @NY Jets). I also have little doubt that the Eagles will win more than 10 this year (my preliminary guess is 12-4, if not 13-3), and the Seahawks will CERTAINLY win at least 9 games (more likely 11).

The Lions over seems pretty good too.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:03 PM

You stole my thunder. I've made my selection for my standout team to play heavy this year. As I mentioned, I've had good luck finding this team exceed the total by approximately two games the past two years, with the Saints and Seahawks respectively. This year, the selection is the Texans. I also followed this team closely last year and you are correct. They were in many of their games last year, playing down to the last minutes. What they learned last year, they will be able to gain from in experience and turn those close losses into wins. I saw a lot of emotion, and teamwork out of them, and I really like their stud running back D. Davis. They have a good QB and a standout WR in Andre Johnson. Don't know much about their defense, only that it is average or above average. I think an 8-8 season can easily be accomplished. Heck, they beat the Panthers last year and I think took the Patriots to OT.

This thread has turned out pretty well. Keep the picks coming!
Old 08-15-2004, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't know much about their defense, only that it is average or above average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing personal, but why are you touting/betting futures on a team when you only know about one side of the ball?

Tuco.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not a big sports bettor, but a pretty big sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2004, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not a big sports bettor, but a pretty big sports. On first impressions, I think:

Texans win total Over 6½ @ -110
Browns win total Over 7½ @ +110
Seahawks win total Under 8½ @ +150

Look like interesting bets. None of these are locks, but I think they all have potential.

Probably some hometown bias here, but the Texans played lost some real close heartbreaker games last season against the upper echelon of the league, and had what turned out to be the hardest schedule in the league. They had injury problems as well. This year they improved their defense, didn't lose any key players and their young guys have an extra year. I think 7 wins is very likely.

Browns I'm the least sure about, and have the least justification for, but things in the NFL have been very rags to riches lately, and though I haven't studied them very much there aren't any huge red flags there, 8 wins doesn't seem unreasonable.

To me, the Seahawks tend to under perform to their talent. Coming off a playoff year, but as someone who's seen great things the past few years and been disappointed, I think it's possible they end up mediocre, weirder things have happened. It's the +150 that makes it interesting though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the Texans pick, but I fear their tought division.

Hate the Cleveland pick.

Didn't like the Seahawks pick at first, but I like your rational. And with those odds, it looks like a good bet.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Ravens will win over 9. They're in a very weak division, and they have some weak non-divisional opponents on their schedule (Miami, NY Giants, and @NY Jets). I also have little doubt that the Eagles will win more than 10 this year (my preliminary guess is 12-4, if not 13-3), and the Seahawks will CERTAINLY win at least 9 games (more likely 11).

The Lions over seems pretty good too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more with your Eagles prediction....

1.I don't like the T.O.-Mcnabb connection is a good fit. Owens is great at YAC, but has poor hands. McNabb has great legs and arm strength but is not accurate. Put a not accurate QB with a poor hands WR and you get a ton of dropped/missed passes.

2.They lost their 2 starting CBs. They added an overpriced and overrated Kearse. Not good at all. They were only somewhere around the 20th ranked defense last year. This year, they should be pretty poor.

3.They lost their starting RB. Count me as one who is not yet sold on Buckhalter or Westbrook.

4.Everyone in their division got a lot better from last year. Much, much tougher division this year. Part of the reason taht the Eagles have been so good in recent years is that they beat up on a weak division. Not this year imo.