Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Arrogance

I realize that the anonymity of the internet breeds a sense of security which, for many otherwise civil people, can translate into an opportunity for their latent sarcasm and arrogance to come out and play. However, the tone of many posts on this particular website strikes me as alarmingly self-absorbed. I am sure other people have noticed this, too. I think that the arrogance on display here is not entirely a phenomenon of net culture; it has something to do with the mentality of poker. I am not sure what, though.

What is it that makes poker players so uniquely full of themselves?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Arrogance

Poker players need to be confident in their skills to ensure they continue to succeed, especially during cold streaks and bad beats. They need to remeber that they are winning players.

The line between confident and cocky is very thin. Not going over that line is key, but you always need to be realistic of your abilities, being to cocky can cost you money playing at a table/stakes/game that you are not good enough for, while being under-confident can have you playing in smaller stakes when you have been ready to move up.

I thought about this topic last week and was going to make a post but I turned out to be somewhat busy.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker players need to be confident in their skills to ensure they continue to succeed, especially during cold streaks and bad beats. They need to remeber that they are winning players.

The line between confident and cocky is very thin. Not going over that line is key, but you always need to be realistic of your abilities, being to cocky can cost you money playing at a table/stakes/game that you are not good enough for, while being under-confident can have you playing in smaller stakes when you have been ready to move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent point.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:37 PM

Poker is not a team sport. That's part of the answer...maybe. I've played chess for over 40 years, and I've personally seen quite a few (not all) really good chessplayers who couldn't get their head through a doorway. I think it's just the nature of a non-team type competition. I've never seen such verbal degradation of the bad players like I have in poker. (maybe boxing and wrestling, but lots of that is fake) I think it's an attempt to build self-esteem by tearing down the other players and justify getting the money. I try to think about in terms of I get paid for knowledge, execution, and providing entertainment. That's how you give value for the value you get. But who knows, I might be wrong about all of this....fwiw
Old 05-25-2005, 07:46 PM

That's an excellent point.

Poker's a zero sum game. Is it so surprising that its fans also view self-esteem as zero sum?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played chess for over 40 years, and I've personally seen quite a few (not all) really good chessplayers who couldn't get their head through a doorway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Jerry Hanken one of them?

GG
Old 05-25-2005, 08:35 PM

The name "Jerry Hanken" doesn't ring a bell.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:45 PM

Shut up you. No one cares about what you have to say. Go somewhere else with your incessant moralizing. I am better than you and I always will be because I am a gambling God and you are a donk!

A donk!

You hear me?

You friggin donk.

I OWN YOU!!!
Old 05-25-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
being to cocky can cost you money

[/ QUOTE ]

And friends too.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize that the anonymity of the internet breeds a sense of security which, for many otherwise civil people, can translate into an opportunity for their latent sarcasm and arrogance to come out and play. However, the tone of many posts on this particular website strikes me as alarmingly self-absorbed. I am sure other people have noticed this, too. I think that the arrogance on display here is not entirely a phenomenon of net culture; it has something to do with the mentality of poker. I am not sure what, though.

What is it that makes poker players so uniquely full of themselves?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think it's just poker players, then you are uniquely
self absorbed........